At McDonald's, eating dairy-free isn't impossible. I recently got on the dairy-free grind when my boyfriend was diagnosed with a milk allergy and I realized how tough it is to figure out what is dairy-free and what isn't. There are plenty of vegan options out there, but it can be trickier for dairy-free meat eaters.

Luckily the dairy-free McDonald's menu is extensive; it just took some digging on their website to figure out the options. The only negative I found during my research is that the iconic Mickey D's fries contain dairy. This is truly devastating, but thankfully there are plenty of other items to chose from.

Hamburger

Lovers of the classic Mickey D's burger, rejoice. You can still order this mainstay even if you are dairy-free. The bun, beef patty, pickle, and onion are all made without dairy.

#SpoonTip: This photo features cheese, but skip it on your burger.

Big Mac without Cheese

Allie Royce

Congrats! You can also order this famous McDonald's dish. Just make sure to order two beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, no cheese, pickles, and onions on a sesame seed bun." Even the Big Mac sauce is dairy-free.

McChicken

This delectable chicken sandwich is another great option for people avoiding dairy. Just note that the chicken patty is fried in the same fryer as the Buttermilk Crispy Chicken, which means there's a chance for some cross contamination, but none of the actual ingredients in the sandwich contain dairy. 

McRib

If you're lucky enough to happen upon a McDonald's that is selling this McRib sandwich, you can rest assured that it is dairy-free. The sandwich can be tricky to find since it is only sold periodically, but use this locator to try to find one near you.

Baked Apple Pie

Surprisingly, the Baked Apple Pie doesn't have butter or milk in it. For non-dairy folks, finding good baked goods can be a chore, so this is a true blessing. Vegans can also eat this delicious treat since it also doesn't have any egg. Who knew? According to Thrillist, it's the apple powder that they mix into the pie that makes these suckers so damn good.

Mcnuggets

sweet, ketchup, french fries
Alex Frank

Like the McChicken Sandwich, nuggets don't contain milk or dairy but they are fried in the same fryer as Buttermilk Crispy Chicken, which means there is a chance of cross contamination. This means if you're lactose intolerant, you're probably fine eating the nuggets. If you have a milk allergy, you should be careful.

Signature Sriracha Burger without Cheese

This Mickey D's newbie is fast becoming a customer favorite. The spicy Sriracha Mac Sauce combines perfectly with the crispy onions and beef patty. Just be sure to order this puppy without cheese.

Egg McMuffin with No Cheese or Butter

The Egg McMuffin is a good option IF you remember to ask for no butter or cheese, since the meal is normally served with both. In addition to the egg you can also have Canadian bacon or a sausage patty. Go ahead and order any of the menu options served on an English muffin, just make sure to specify that you don't want cheese or butter.

Fruit and Maple Oatmeal without Cream

This is one of the healthier menu items you can order at Mickey D's. Luckily, the only ingredient that contains dairy is the light cream, which is easy to leave out. 

Sauces

Unfortunately, some of McDonald's best sauces have dairy. I'm looking at you, Spicy Buffalo. But you still have tons of tasty options. These include: Big Mac Sauce, Tangy BBQ Sauce, Signature Sauce, Sriracha Special SauceKetchup, Sweet and Sour SauceMustardTartar Sauce, and Mayo.

One thing's for sure, you don't have to avoid those golden arches just because you are avoiding dairy. Some of the biggest heavy hitters on the McDonald's menu are actually dairy-free.