Walking around Iowa City on a weekend morning has quite a different vibe than the night before. After a long week of classes and a night or two of partying, students tend to spend their time laying in bed Netflixing instead of walking around campus or getting a bite to eat. However, Iowa City is filled with secret breakfast gems that happen make incredible hangover cures. Actually, they make good cures to anything that has you feeling down in the dumps on a Sunday morning. Let’s take a look at a few of the best places to grab breakfast in Iowa City.

1. Hamburg Inn No. 2

The famous Iowa City breakfast place is certainly one to brag about. Their menu has a wide variety of breakfast items such as egg sandwiches, omelets, and pancakes. If you’re not feeling like eating breakfast, not to worry. Hamburg Inn No. 2 also has great burgers and sandwiches as well. And let’s not forget about their pie shakes.

breakfast iowa city

Photo by Carly Koemptgen

2. Pullman

A fantastic place for lunch and dinner, Pullman’s breakfast and brunch menu is unique and delicious. Their breakfast entrees will make you feel fancy without breaking the bank, while the casual-yet-upscale diner feel is great for Sunday mornings with friends or breakfast with your parents. Try their take on Mexican breakfast foods like breakfast tacos or the huevos bowl and you will certainly not be disappointed.

breakfast iowa city

Photo by Carly Koemptgen

3. Bluebird

If you’re looking for an authentic and eclectic diner here in Iowa City, Bluebird is the place to go. Their menu boasts all the traditional breakfast foods made with fresh and local ingredients when available. Their pancakes are to die for, especially topped with their homemade whipped cream and your choice of fruit. If you plan on going to Bluebird, though, be prepared to wait. Sometimes it can take up to an hour to get a table on busy weekend mornings.

breakfast iowa city

Photo by Jake Vardaman

4. Hurts Donuts

The king of Iowa City foodie Instagrams is certainly Hurt’s Donuts in Coralville. Not only are their donuts picture-perfect, they’re absolutely delicious. Try any of their unique flavors, often topped with your favorite childhood cereal or candy, and you’re sure to be impressed. The best part about Hurts is that they’re open 24/7, so when you feel like you just need a gourmet donut RIGHT NOW, they’ve got your back.

breakfast iowa city

Photo by Hurts Donut Co.

5. Augusta

Despite their very recent move to Iowa City, Augusta still managed to make their way onto this list. Their brunch menu, served Saturday and Sunday from 9 am to 2 pm, includes several Southern-style dishes made from fresh, local ingredients. If you’re in the mood for items smothered in delicious homemade gravy, this is the place to go. They also bake all their breads in house. What’s not to love?

breakfast iowa city

Photo courtesy of Little Village Magazine

6. Heirloom

Better known for their salads and sandwiches for lunch, Heirloom is actually a great place if you’re looking for something quick and easy for breakfast. Not only does their menu include delicious breakfast sandwiches made on your choice of toast or a bagel, but they also offer egg scrambles and oatmeal bowls. Whether you want to choose something off the menu or create your own, Heirloom is a great option for when you want to get breakfast but don’t quite have time to sit down and wait a long time for it.

breakfast iowa city

Photo by Carly Koemptgen

7. Farmer’s Market

Commonly overlooked, the Iowa City’s Farmers Market makes for a great breakfast on Saturday mornings. Open from May to October, the Saturday Farmers Market includes over 300 local vendors. If you’re not looking to spend a lot of money, many of the vendors offer free samples which add up quickly. But if you’d like to support the local farmers (which I hope you do!), there are plenty of places where you can purchase delicious breakfast items for fairly cheap.

breakfast iowa city

Photo courtesy of www.press-citizen.com

8. Micky’s

On football game days, you’ll find Micky’s Irish Pub full with alumni, students, and just some good ol’ Iowa football fans. But did you know that Micky’s also offers breakfast on weekends? Try their signature Irish Eggs Benedict or Walk of Shame and you’ll be sure to forget all about the dumb decisions you made the night before.

breakfast iowa city

Photo courtesy of www.patch.com/iowa/iowacity

It’s fairly well known that Iowa City is full of great restaurants, but if you’re struggling to find just the right place to make your morning a little better, any one of these restaurants are sure to please. Remember that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so you might as well go big or go home.

If you’re looking for more breakfast inspiration: