For most of us, in times of great distress, there are two people we can rely on for a much needed pick-me-up: Ben & Jerry.

Their 37-year commitment to providing deliciously crafted treats has helped many of us pull numerous all-nighters and move on from heart-wrenching breakups. Because Ben & Jerry never fail to help us in times of need, it’s only right for us to support them in their mission of creating better lives for the employees at Greyston Bakery.

ben & jerry's

Photo by Amanda Shulman

Greyston Bakery opened 32 years ago on a mission to support the poverty-stricken community of Yonkers, New York. The bakery offers job opportunities to the homeless as well as those who served numerous years in prison or are recovering from alcohol or drug addictions.

They offer low-income housing, childcare, and other services to ensure that their employees enjoy the best conditions possible. How awesome is that?!

In 1989, the founder of Greyston, Bernie Glassman, and the co-founder of Ben & Jerry’s, Ben Cohen, invested in a partnership that has given people a second chance at life. The chunks of rich, fudgy brownies we obsess over today are just an added bonus.

ben & jerry's

Photo courtesy of Greyston Bakery

According to Ben & Jerry’s PR representative, Sean Greenwood, Greyston bakes around 20,000 pounds of brownies daily to send off to Ben & Jerry’s. For those of us who hate math, that would be ¼ of a full-size tractor trailer’s load.

I believe it is our responsibility to enjoy every ounce of ice cream containing the decadent brownies carefully created by the employees of Greyston Bakery. With each cone, cup, or pint purchased, you are helping Greyston sustain their mission of social sustainability.

So, the next time you feel the urge to indulge in an entire pint of Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Fudge Brownie, have no remorse. Thanks to Greyston Bakery, you can eat as many chocolatey treats as you’d like (almost) guilt-free.