If you're looking to add more variety to your meals without spending too much time in the kitchen, you're in the right place. Get creative and satisfy your taste buds with this beginner's guide to the Nourish Bowl.

What is the Nourish Bowl?

I like to describe the Nourish Bowl as homemade Sweetgreen–a well-balanced bowl of nutrient-dense foods of your choosing. It typically includes a whole grain, a protein, some vegetables, healthy fats, and a sauce or dressing, hitting all of your macronutrients and making it the perfect meal for you any day of the week. 

Sanam Patel
Beginner's Guide to the Nourish Bowl:

(1) Start with a base

Create a strong base with your choice of leafy greens, like spinach or kale, and/or a grain, like brown rice or quinoa.

(2) Add a protein

Don't forget your favorite protein for a balanced and filling meal. Some vegetarian options include tofu, tempeh, lentils, eggs, and more.

(3) Add your choice of vegetables

Get creative and toss in your favorite veggies—raw, cooked, or roasted! Some ideas are roasted broccoli, baked sweet potatoes, cherry tomatoes, red peppers, mushrooms, carrots, and cucumbers.

(4) Top off your bowl with your favorite add-ons

Spice up your Nourish Bowl with additional toppings. You can add seeds or nuts for some extra crunch, fruit for a little sweetness, pickled vegetables for tanginess, and dressings for an extra kick of flavor.

Now that I’ve convinced you just how easy it is to make a healthy, customizable Nourish Bowl, here are a few themed ideas for inspiration.

Mediterranean Bowl

Amy Zhang

Skip Taco Tuesday and have a Falafel Night instead (or both)! You'll need a base of leafy greens and/or tabouleh, a whole grain, like brown rice or quinoa, store bought or homemade falafel, hummus, chickpeas, some veggies, like cherry tomatoes and red onions, and a tahini sauce. You can even toast some pita bread in the oven for a few minutes to have on the side.

Buddha Bowl

Amy Zhang

The Buddha Bowl is a treat for your eyes and your stomach. The best thing about this hearty meal—besides how gorgeous it is—is how easy it is to make. All you need is a base of leafy greens, a whole grain, cooked tempeh, roasted vegetables, like broccoli and sweet potato, avocado, and pickled red onions. Don't forget to add a dressing for more texture and flavor!

Veggie Sushi Bowl

Amy Zhang

Homemade poke bowl? Count me in. All you need for this recipe is a base of white rice and leafy greens, shelled edamame, carrots, bell pepper, teriyaki tofu, sushi ginger, seaweed, avocado, and any other toppings of your choice. Drizzle your bowl with soy sauce and sriracha for some extra flavor.

Hopefully you're feeling inspired after reading these ideas, but the beauty of the Nourish Bowl is that you do not need a recipe to begin with. The basic premise is simple: create a base and add in your choice of toppings. Besides that, all you need is a little creativity and an empty stomach!