Barry’s is the traditional Jewish and New York style cuisine located on 12th and Alder here in Eugene, Oregon. Barry’s is not only authentic, but a hot spot for the college students of University of Oregon. The booths in Barry’s are almost always filled, and customers’ smiles array when they go in for their first bite. However, the devil’s lettuce is interrupting the Challah guilty pleasure that Barry’s Bakery and Deli has to offer.

Barry's

Photo by Phillip Quinn

The new dispensary, Casper’s, was introduced to the Oregon campus last term, which created a lot of excitement. Unfortunately, they are now expanding their club size and are taking over Barry’s space. Lucky for us Barry fans, they will not be leaving completely.

Barry’s has had three locations in the south Eugene area ever since the opening day thirteen years ago. Their second shop is located on 28th and Oak Street, which was opened eleven years ago and will remain open. The original Barry’s location on campus opened thirteen years ago, being a much loved food location for many years.

Barry's

Photo by Phillip Quinn

It may seem as if Casper’s is taking over Barry’s space, but the closing of this location has actually been planned for over two years. As the manager of Barry’s explained, “It’s how the restaurant business plays out.” It is disappointing to hear that the Matzo Ball soup will not be in close reach from the University of Oregon, but the Oak Street location will still be prepared for our business.

Barry's

Photo by Phillip Quinn

One may want to purchase a gram of A-grade kush, but as foodies we’re more interested in buying that kosher fix rather than the green fix. If you haven’t tried Barry’s sandwich and soup combo, I would definitely recommend checking it out before the move takes place.