Most people aren't leaving their houses right now, but Baldor Specialty Foods is here to bring food to us. The company is primarily a wholesale distributor for restaurants and stores, but with the COVID-19 pandemic closing restaurants and limiting grocery store availability, Baldor is shifting its focus to consumers with a new Home Delivery program. 

Baldor is based in New York and had already been offering home deliveries in certain areas of New York, Boston, and Philadelphia. As of April 14, they have expanded delivery to the DC area, including some areas in Maryland. 

In the week leading up to the expanded delivery areas, Baldor had gained more than 30,000 customers, according to CEO TJ Murphy. 

How it works

The Home Delivery program offers fruit, vegetables, meat and poultry (including "alternative meat"), eggs, dairy products, and some bakery goods. Baldor mostly provides perishable goods that are intended to be cooked, and they don't have many dry goods or snack foods. 

One advantage of Baldor Home Delivery over other grocery delivery services is the option for next-day delivery. Orders placed before 10 pm can be eligible for one-day delivery. Deliveries are made daily from Monday-Saturday. Delivery is free, but the minimum order is $250.

Baldor focuses on locally sourced, and in-season products to reduce travel distances and provide healthy offerings. They also have a program called sparCs, which aims to reduce food waste by finding uses for leftover food such as making vegetable stock or creating animal feed. 

All Baldor services are handled directly by them, so visit their website for more information and ordering instructions. 

For more companies offering home delivery, check out this article. CC Spoon encourages you to stay safe and follow all applicable guidelines during this time.