The morning after going out is a rough one. One too many drinks the night before can leave you wishing you had never gone out in the first place. You've probably tried all those hangover remedies like chugging water before bed, drinking Pedialyte or eating the greasiest food you could find, but you probably haven't tried a B12 hangover remedy. 

B12 Could Be Your Savior

Taking a B12 supplement has many benefits because B12 is needed for your body to function. B12 plays a key role in the functioning of the brain and nervous system, but many take it to boost mood and energy, to strengthen the immune system and for healthy skin and hair. However, B12 has a hidden talent that many are not aware of: it's one of the greatest hangover cures.

Because alcohol is a diuretic, it depletes a lot of nutrients and vitamins from your body. According to Dr. Mercola, B vitamin is one of those vitamins, which is problematic because your body requires B vitamin to eliminate alcohol from your body. The loss of B vitamin could be the cause of the fatigue, dizziness and even memory loss you experience the morning after drinking. So, Dr. Mercola suggests a "pre-tox" if you know you're going to be drinking that night.

"Pre-tox" Ritual 

"Pre-tox," a solution of a lifetime, involves taking a B vitamin supplement before drinking as well as the morning after. Taking a B vitamin supplement before and after drinking alcohol will replenish the amount of B vitamin in your body and allow it to function and recover properly from a night out on the town. Developing this a ritual before a night of drinking can save you from those horrible hangovers the next day. People who do this swear by specifically taking a B12 supplement, but a B-Complex supplement works the same.

#SpoonTip: If you're looking for a B12 supplement, look for a dissolvable tablet that reaches your body through the bloodstream, rather than stomach! 

I'm going to be honest, B vitamin supplements don't taste or smell the best, but if you suffer from awful hangovers, the benefits are definitely worth it. However, be sure not to overdo it. Taking a B12 or B-complex supplement is said to help, but it's definitely not a guarantee. If you take a B vitamin supplement, and it doesn't work, don't just take more. Combining a the supplement with drinking a healthy amount of water, eating a good meal and getting plenty of rest the next day should do the trick. 

#SpoonTip: Don't be alarmed if your urine turns neon yellow after taking a B vitamin supplement. It's the B2!

A B12 hangover remedy can be life-saving, but in general, consumption of alcohol depletes many different vitamins from your body, not just B vitamin. Taking other daily vitamin supplements like vitamin A, C, D and E as well is beneficial to keeping your body functioning and filled with all the vitamins it needs. Also, always remember to stay hydrated, especially when drinking alcohol!