As a resident of the food capital of Australia — and, in my opinion, the world — Melbourne, I thought it was time to help all of you out there who want to come visit down under by shedding some light on Australian food slang. The Australian accent is at times difficult to understand, let alone their shortened way of writing and talking about food. After moving to Australia, I quickly realized that Australians love to shorten everything. People's names, cities, school subjects, food — everything is abbreviated.

This list of Australian food slang words will help you blend into the Australian culture and sound (partly) like a local. Nobody will suspect that you're a tourist in disguise.

Avo = Avocado

Avocado on toast is a staple in Australia due to the freshness and cheapness of these green goodies. Pretty much every cafe or restaurant will have avo on toast on their menu for breakfast and lunch.

Barbie = Barbecue

It's an ongoing stereotype that Australians have barbies all the time, but that isn't the case — I must warn you that if you tell an Aussie to 'chuck a shrimp on the barbie', that person will be embarrassed for you. Barbies take place in carparks, beaches, parks and really anywhere with an open flame.

Bickie = Biscuit

My personal favourite Australian bickie is the tim tam. This delicious chocolate cookie is smothered in milk, white or dark chocolate, and inside is a chocolate frosting.

#SpoonTip: try a tim tam slam. Bite opposite corners of the bickie and use it as a straw to sip some tea. The tea will melt the frosting, making the bickie even more moorish.

Bottle-O = Bottle Shop or Liquor Store 

A bottle-o is Australian food slang for the place you go to buy wine, beer and spirits. My personal favourite bottle-o is called Thirsty Camel, where the shop is like a drive thru, except you get alcohol instead of burgers. 

#SpoonTip: the drinking age in Australia is 18. 

Capsicum = Bell Pepper

These bright and juicy vegetables seem to always be in season in Australia, and 'capsicum' is just way more fun to say than 'bell pepper'.

Chook = Chicken 

If you want to try the delicious combo of chicken and chips, make sure to go to one of the many chook shops in Australia. These shops have rotisserie chickens ready to eat, and they're even 24 hours in some places. 

#SpoonTip: make sure to try chicken salt on your chips (@Americans, this means fries). This savoury seasoning will elevate your fried potatoes to another level.  

Goon = Boxed Wine or Wine In A Bag 

Goon is a major player in the culture of pres in Australia, and it's known for making everyone way too tipsy. One of the major pluses of goon is that it comes in pretty silver wrapping. Just look at how shiny that is.

Milk Bar = Convenience Store

These are the independent and privately-owned versions of 7-11. Milk bars stock all of the basics, plus sometimes they will have a specialty such as homemade desserts, dim sum or lasagna.

Parma = Chicken Parmigiana

A chicken parma is the ultimate Australian food. Parma's can be found at basically every pub in Australia, as well as many restaurants. A chicken parma with chips and a cold beer is the most delicious and satisfying meal in my opinion.

Paw Paw = Papaya 

This fruit is readily available in many Australian markets and supermarkets. Paw paw in Australia is always super fresh and juicy, making it the perfect ingredient to add to smoothies and salads. 

#SpoonTip: buy some of Lucas's paw paw ointment. It's basically a miracle balm, and you can use it as almost anything, from lip balm to sunburn reliever to a treatment for splinters.

Pav = Pavlova 

There is much debate whether this dessert originated in Australia or New Zealand, but one thing is true regardless — pavs are delicious. A pav is a meringue topped with fresh whipped cream and fresh fruits like raspberries and mango. Mmmm.

Sanga = Sandwich 

Not to be confused with the next term, a sanga is the Australian food slang for a sandwich. Sangas can contain a variety of goods including pulled pork, traditional ham and cheese, and even Vietnamese bahn mi.

Snag = Sausage or Hot Dog 

Snags go on the barbie. Australians love barbies. Therefore, snags are an Australian staple. Bunnings Warehouse (a home depot of sorts) is famous for its sausage sizzles on the weekends, where people can buy a sausage on a piece of white bread for just a dollar. Bargain. 

Stubbie = Small Bottle of Beer 

Stubbies are quintessential for any Australian picnic, barbecue, cricket game, or beach day. In all honesty, it's hard to be more than five metres away from someone who has a stubbie in their hands in Australia. They're everywhere.

Yabbie = Crayfish 

Australians love to fish for yabbies. These delicious crustaceans are often grilled on the barbie and served during the summer months.

Zooper Dooper = Popsicle 

These frozen treats are a summer staple in any Australian's diet. The bright colours and artificial flavours taste best on a hot summer day.

This list is just the tip of the iceberg. Australians are constantly coming up with new slang words, and it's hard to keep up. Listen to the locals and try to piece it together. Australians are relaxed, so grab a stubbie and a snag and chill out — after all, you sound like a local now.