Lately, it seems as if the only cookbooks consumers are buying are the ones written by celebrities—if it’s not a celebrity cookbook, people aren't interested. When I say “celebrity” cookbook, I’m not talking about Ina Garten, Bobby Flay, or Rachael Ray, celebrities who are famous for being chefs. I’m referring to the television and movie stars, models, and public figures who just decided to write a cookbook.

At first glance, it seems completely arbitrary; as if these celebs are only writing cookbooks because they can, not because they actually have a talent for cooking or baking. On some level, this could absolutely be true. Celebrities most likely don't need the money and can even hire a professional to develop and test recipes for them if they don't want to get their hands dirty in the kitchen. So, if a celebrity already has a net worth in the millions and has some extra time on their hands, then why not?

The “why not” comes into play in the actual writing of the cookbook. A small cookbook usually has around 40 recipes in it, so in order to just throw one together, a celebrity has to have a pretty extensive arsenal of recipes to draw from—unless they have someone else write the cookbook for them. In addition, not every celebrity cookbook is going to be a smash hit like Chrissy Teigen’s Cravings. Her book has been so successful because she truly does have a passion for cooking and developing recipes. The fact that Chrissy had a preexisting fan base definitely helped the popularity of her book, but you probably didn’t know that Tom Brady also wrote a cookbook—Kris Jenner too. The reason that Cravings has a cult following is because it really is an amazing cookbook, not just because the author is well known. 

Let's Get Cooking

Since there are so many celeb cookbooks out there, I thought I’d provide a list of some of the most popular ones. You could say that these are the celebrities of celebrity cookbooks.

Cravings by Chrissy Teigen

This collection of recipes is a true breath of fresh air in the world of cookbooks. All of the recipes are easy to follow, indulgent, and delicious. In addition, the book is full of Chrissy’s own hilarious commentary about each recipe and stunning pictures of the food, Chrissy, and John.

#SpoonTip: The Roasted Jalapeno and Chorizo Queso will be the star of any football party or get-together.

Whiskey in a Teacup by Reese Witherspoon

This is not your average cookbook; it is the epitome of Southern charm. Reese Witherspoon’s book reads more like a wonderful story with some lovely recipes sprinkled throughout. It’s a delightful book whether or not you try out the recipes.

Magnolia Table by Joanna Gaines

The interior designer has found her second calling with this cookbook. The book itself is incredibly charming—it somehow feels rustic with its family recipes and simple black and white design. The way this book is written makes it clear that the focus is home and family, and what better way to bring family together than through food?

From Crook to Cook by Snoop Dogg

The one word I would use to describe this cookbook is relatable. Along with an array of drool-worthy recipes, there are pictures of Snoop’s pantry and fridge filled with hot sauce, champagne, fritos, and other “staples.” There are even restaurant recommendations for when you don’t feel like cooking.

Who knew celebrities could cook?! Whether you are an avid home baker, aspiring chef, or just a fan, any one of these cookbooks makes a great read and an even better meal. So, the next time you're on the hunt for an amazing cookbook, think twice before skipping over the "Celebrity Chef" section. You might just be surprised by what you find.