With exams approaching, everyone's anxiety levels are sky rocketing, letting our inner Paris Geller shine through. If you find yourself reaching for an anxiety-inducing snack when you're stressed, this list of foods will help your body manage those cravings, as well as any anxiety you may be facing more effectively. Besides that, most of the options listed are healthy alternatives to these foods that can cause anxiety.  

Hopefully with my help, we can all get through exam szn together.

1. Chamomile Tea

tea, coffee, cream, milk, dairy product, espresso
Ana Cvetkovic

There's nothing more relaxing than lying in bed with your favourite book or TV show, and a cup of hot tea. If you're feeling anxious, Chamomile Tea is a great option to help calm your nerves. According to this site, elements in chamomile bind to the same neurotransmitters as valium — so you get a similar affect without the prescription. Next time you're feeling anxious, get brewing! 

2. Asparagus

asparagus, vegetable
Kathleen Lee

Low levels of folic acid have been associated with depression and anxiety. Although it might make your pee smell awful, one cup can provide the majority of your daily value of folic acid. Try this recipe to get your daily dose. 

3. Dark Chocolate

chocolate, pistachio, candy, sweet
Amanda Shulman

Studies show that eating 1.5 ounces, or 1/4 of a cup, of dark chocolate lowers stress hormone levels. The darker the chocolate, the better. Although super dark chocolate can be über bitter, it's similar to Buckley's in the sense that it tastes like sh*t but it gets the job done. Make this dark chocolate bark for a quick fix.

4. Avocados

bread
Weichen Yan

This fruit (I know —  I thought it was a vegetable too!) is all the rave. From guacamole to avocado toast, this superfood is packed with potassium that naturally lowers blood pressure, as well as other nutrients that are needed for neurotransmitter and brain health. When your body is low in potassium, it induces anxiety-like behaviours, making you feel way more anxious than you actually are. 

5. Greens

cucumber, vegetable, pickle
Jasmine Tang

Leafy greens are the answer to all of your problems (Okay — this might be a slight exaggeration, but they are great for you). spinach, swiss chard, and kale are all natural "chill pills" because they are rich in magnesium, which has been proven to lower anxiety. Hate eating your greens? Try these recipes that disguise the taste. 

Remember

I cannot guarantee these foods will lower your anxiety. With that being said, if you've ever suffered from anxiety, you know it's worth a shot. One of the most important things you can do when trying to reduce anxiety is taking care of your body, and every food on this list will help make you feel like your best self.

Remember though, everything is good in moderation. If you are going to eat your body weight in something, make it greens instead of junk food. Want to know what other foods to avoid? Check here.