The organic frozen food company, Amy’s Kitchen, has issued a voluntary recall on their Vegan Organic Rice Mac & Cheeze after a third-party laboratory found trace amounts of milk protein in one of the cases. The recall announcement, made last week, affects 15,625 cases of the frozen meal that are in distribution at retailers across the nation.

The affected cases will have labelling with Lot Code 60J0421 and a Best Before date of 10/2023. Thankfully, the FDA reports that this mistake has no effect on any other Amy’s Kitchen products. Amy’s Kitchen, with the help of the FDA, are ensuring that all tainted cases of food are pulled off the shelves to protect against potential severe allergic reactions from customers.

“At Amy’s Kitchen, the safety of consumers is the top priority,” said the Amy’s Kitchen Consumer Relations team in the company announcement. “Amy’s follows the highest possible food safety and quality control standards to ensure the safety and full enjoyment of its meals and is committed to implementing corrective actions flowing from the investigation of this event.”

The FDA has advised customers to discard affected cases or return them to the retailer in which they were purchased for a full refund. Instead, try out Annie’s Vegan Macaroni & Cheddar Pasta or Trader Joe's Vegan Macaroni & Cheese options. If you’re gluten-free, you can grab frozen Stouffer’s Gluten Free Macaroni & Cheese or the regular gluten-free mac & cheese from the Amy’s Kitchen brand, which are all available at most large retailers.