If variety is indeed the spice of life, there is no better way to break up a dull routine than with an infusion of flavors that you've never tasted before. Discover American University's most underrated and delicious treats. 

Spoon University found eleven of the best snacks to bring a little more excitement to our days walking the Freidham Quad.

#11: Smoked Gouda Cobb Salad at the Davenport Coffee Lounge

Elliott Parrish

Gouda is a rarity on most college campuses, but its smokey, rich flavor will complement just about anything. If finding this prince of cheeses in a jar inside a coffee shop seems unlikely, try adding in a twist of spiced lime, hardboiled eggs, cherry tomatoes, and toasted, crunchy sunflower seeds. Crisp and invigorating, it is not surprising the Dav routinely sells out of this salad by the day’s end.

#10: Chocolate Peanut Butter Shake at the Eagle’s Nest

Elliott Parrish

Half the fun of getting a milkshake from the C-Store is watching the LED-bedazzled hydraulic mixer levitate your cup and blend it to whatever thickness you desire. Choosing the regular blend for myself, I found my beverage to be creamy and filling—a more cocoa-infused concoction than nutty. Don’t like peanut butter? From mint chip to mango-berry, there is a flavor here to suit most every pallet. Though beware of brain freezes. The danger is real.

#9: Gochujang Turkey Burger at Wonk Burger

Elliott Parrish

Gochujang is a Korean chili paste made from soy and hot red peppers. But never fear...this doctored-up burger patty features far more umami than spice. Served on a bed of french fries with all the usual trimmings, the dish is best enjoyed with a slathering of honey mustard sauce. For those craving a break from the usual sirloin beef at Wonk, or just trying to cut down on carbon-intensive red meat, the special gochujang burger should be just the ticket.

#8: Mango Colada Smoothie at Create

Elliott Parrish

Banish the gloomy skies of winter from your mind and picture yourself poolside at someplace tropical. The mango colada smoothie at Create features a bright tang of pineapple beset by mildly sweet coconut milk and a touch of honey. Sip slowly enough, and you’ll taste notes of vanilla greek yogurt and succulent mango—making this the perfect treat to escape the hustle and bustle of AU’s campus. But again, be warned: brain freezes are all too common for those unable to slow down and relax.

#7: Tofu Breakfast Burrito at the Spring Valley Cafe

Elliott Parrish

Let’s face it: trekking to Spring Valley for class is hardly ever convenient. But whether you prefer to catch the red line bus or simply jog a mile up Massachusetts avenue, a reward awaits at the 6th floor Spring Valley Café. Stop by for peppery roasted tofu and red bell peppers swaddled in a toasty flower tortilla. The whole shebang is served on a bed of the café’s specialty skinned breakfast potatoes and enhanced with an optional dash of hot sauce. For diners skeptical that a burrito can actually be considered a breakfast food, spicing up your commute with this paprika-infused creation should remove all doubts.

#6: Irish Cream Cold Brew at Starbucks

Elliott Parrish

Just in time for St. Patrick’s Day, enjoy the luck of the Irish by sipping on this sweet and creamy refreshment from the nation’s foremost coffee authority. The frothy Irish cream on top is reminiscent of a vanilla cream soda. (Anyone lucky enough to experience a “Butterbeer” at Universal’s Harry Potter theme park will recognize the taste.) The cold brew base is rich but not bitter. In all, caffeinating your midterm weariness away just got a whole lot sweeter.

#5: Nova Lox Bagel Sandwich at Einstein Bagel

Elliott Parrish

The first recorded bagel in history was in medieval Poland over 400 years ago, and was believed at the time to hold magical powers. All superstition aside, there’s plenty magical about this delectable dish from Einstein Bagel Co. Heaped high with salty half-smoked salmon and a herby signature “shmear” underneath, the beauty of this classic delicacy is that you can have it prepared any way you like; Einstein offers 27 distinct add-ons such as fried eggs, spinach, and avocado. So go ahead! Choose your favorite bagel and add a little magic to your day!

#4: Seaweed Salad at Hissho Sushi

Elliott Parrish

Should our food ever come in neon colors? Only if it's tasty! At any rate, the signature appetizer at Hissho Sushi is brightly hued and anything but bland. The stunningly vibrant green seaweed is tossed with sesame seeds and served dripping in soy, ginger, and garlic. As you master those elusive chopstick skills, impress your friends by pronouncing the Japanese name for this fresh and healthy dish: wakame ワカメ (wah-KAH-may). Though seaweed salad is a relatively common offering at Asian eateries across the country, I have yet to find any variation on the dish executed better than this one.

#3: Mediterranean Veggie Wrap at District Pickle

Elliott Parrish

Ideal for when you want to feel energized rather than sluggish after the meal is done, District Pickle’s best menu item features just about every veggie under the sun. “Eat the rainbow” with the colorful reds, greens, and purples of ripe tomato, zucchini, and eggplant—not to mention the vibrant yellow summer squash that steals the show. Best enjoyed with garlic aioli and the joint’s flavorful coleslaw, you’ll feel rejuvenated enough to finally take on that econ homework you’ve been putting off. (…Or maybe not.)

#2: Vanilla Almond Tea at the Bridge Café

Elliott Parrish

Regarding the battle for beverage supremacy between the Dav and the Bridge, just about every AU student has a favorite. While coffee lovers may flock to the SIS building to get their caffeine fix, anyone who enjoys a hot cup of tea will be satisfied by the top-notch offerings under the skylights of the Bridge Café. The mellow, soothing sensation of this tea may be further improved by a splash of almond milk, a squeeze of honey, and a dash of vanilla syrup. A tall, steaming mug should be enough to power you through the toughest assignments your professors can dish up.

#1: Cookies and Cream Pie at the Terrace Dining Room

Elliott Parrish

The single greatest pick-me-up to be found anywhere on AU’s campus is an unbeatable combination of three simple ingredients: fluffy chocolate pudding, Oreo crumbs, and whipped cream. Add on a scoop of cookies and cream ice cream to create an extra special treat. The undeniable kid-in-a-candy-shop charm of the dish will make even the most haggard and overtaxed scholars feel young again. TDR’s cookies and cream pie remains the best underrated culinary offering this side of Mass ave., and proves that there are always new, wonk flavors to be found for those Eagles who accept the challenge of discovering them.