Valentine's Day is rolling around fast and for those stuck on what to buy for their Valentine, chocolate is a safe option. Whether as a supplement gift or the main event, you would be hard pushed to find someone who doesn't appreciate a little chocolate. It's also a great choice if you want to buy something for your not-quite-significant other. This year try making your gift that bit more thoughtful by avoiding your run-of-the-mill Ferrero Rocher and opting for something a little different. Here are the top alternative Valentine's Day chocolates you can buy around Edinburgh.

The Chocolate Tree 

174 Bruntsfield Place

From bean to bar, the Chocolate Tree takes pride in their obsessive approach to producing some of the best chocolate around. With plenty of options from bars to mini artisan chocolates, you are guaranteed to find something unique. They've also won a number of International Chocolate Awards, so if that doesn't persuade you, I don't know what will. 

Coco Chocolate

123 Bruntsfield Place and 20 Reaburn Place, Stockbridge

Another Bruntsfield gem, this chocolatier sells a huge range of unusual flavours (Haggis Spice anyone?), which makes it more fun when it comes to tasting it. Coco creates a number of vegan friendly chocolates and the majority are gluten free too which is a bonus if you have any dietary requirements to navigate. They also run a chocolate school and tasting evenings - both of which would be great date ideas.

Harvey Nichols

30-34 St Andrews Square

Okay, this is a commercial chocolate supplier and not independent like the others, but they still supply a ridiculously good range of high-quality chocolates. From their own-brand chocolate (designed in partnership with Coco), to Booja Booja and Artisan du Chocolat, you're guaranteed to find something suitable for your Valentine. There's also the Chocolate Lounge if you prefer to eat your chocolatey treats off a conveyor belt.

Any three of these will provide some great options for a last-minute Valentine's Day gift.