Today is National Doughnut Day, and although there are a lot of food holidays out there, this one is actually pretty legit. Its roots date back to World War 1, when women from the Salvation Army volunteered to make soldiers more comfortable by doing everything from mending uniforms to apparently, making doughnuts. However, the first official National Doughnut Day was in Chicago in 1938 during the Great Depression, and helped raise money for those in need. The day has continued ever since on the first Friday of every June, and now treats all hungry customers, no matter their economical background, to free doughnuts. You can pick up a free doughnut (and some other fun treats) at these locations today.

doughnut, sweet, pastry, cake, sprinkles, chocolate, bread
Alex Frank

Burger King

BK is releasing "Whopper Donuts" today, which is basically a Whopper with a hole cut out of the center, with a slider served on the side as the "hole". In reality, this is not a doughnut, just shaped like one, which is a good thing. Imagine a burger-flavored doughnut...

Dunkin' Donuts

Stop into any participating Dunkin' Donuts today and receive a free doughnut (while supplies last) when you purchase a beverage. You can get a classic Glazed Chocolate, or try out their new Chocolate Cake Batter and Vanilla Cake Batter doughnuts.

Edible Arrangements

Edible Arrangements, the maker of all cut, chocolate dipped, and arranged fruits is giving away free "doughnuts" made from doughnut-shaped Granny Smith Apple slices dipped in gourmet chocolate. This offer stands for anyone who just stops by their local shop! No purchase necessary.

Krispy Kreme

Go to Krispy Kreme today and receive a free doughnut. That's it! No purchase necessary. However, you are limited to only picking up one. 

Papa John's

Papa John's is serving up new caramel-creme doughnut holes free when you order a pizza. So you probs won't be eating these for breakfast, but doughnuts are just as good for dessert. If you need more doughnuts, order them again from June 2 through June 30 using the app and promo code "DONUT" and you'll be entered for the chance to win a free eight-day, seven-night, all expenses paid trip to New Zealand's Donut Island. The island, aka Whenuakura Island, is shaped like a doughnut.

Walmart

Roll up to any Walmart in the US today and receive a free doughnut, no purchase necessary. It's an especially great deal if you've got some grocery shopping to do. They say never grocery shop hungry, so eat a doughnut while you do so.