We all know just how harmful sugar can be to your health. An excess of sugar in your diet can not only be detrimental to your body, but also to your brain. However, if you add a spoonful of sugar to your shampoo, you won't get the same negative results you would by simply eating it. In fact, adding sugar to your shampoo may just be exactly what your hair and scalp need.

sweet, chocolate, condiment, salt
Angela Kerndl

I always hear that you shouldn't wash your hair everyday because it strips the nutrients and oils needed for your hair to be healthy. That's why everyone became so dry-shampoo obsessed—it meant not having to wash your hair every day.

For those who rely on dry shampoo a little too much, exfoliation is essential for your hair. It helps get rid of dirt and debris, but also promotes healthy cell turnover and hair growth.

But why waste money on expensive exfoliation products, such as salt scrubs, when all you need to do is head to the kitchen and grab some sugar for the same result? 

If your hair seems particularly dry, don't just cut back on washing your hair, instead try adding a tablespoon of sugar to your shampoo. You may just be in need of some exfoliation. Not only will this simple hack aid in a deeper clean, but it'll also give your hair the moisture it needs to be healthy.

candy, flour, coffee, sweet, salt
Angela Kerndl

Not only will this simple hack aid in a deeper clean, but it'll also give your hair the moisture it needs to be healthy. This trick will get rid of any residue or dead skin cells hanging out in your scalp, allowing your conditioner to work better.

If you're going to give this new trick a try, like with everything, you don't want to over do it. Adding a bit of sugar to your shampoo routine every 3-5 days will work just fine.   

Try this out if you want noticeably healthier looking hair without breaking the bank.  You can also try using one of these 13 foods for healthier hair if the sugar doesn't work for you.