Being a freshman in college is very difficult for endless reasons. When I think about home and what I miss the the most, the answer is always the same: food. Yes, my family and friends are important too; however, they are always a FaceTime call away unlike my favorite restaurants. I am from a small town in Northern New Jersey and a highlight was always going out for meals with my friends. 

Coming home for Thanksgiving break this year was the first time I've been home since starting college this fall. Immediately, I was overwhelmed with all of the food options from all of my favorite places that had come back into my life overnight. Here is a freshman's guide to surviving all the food during your first break home:

Saturday

This being my first day home I was eager to eat as many things as possible. Immediately when I woke up in the morning I was in search of the perfect New Jersey bagel that I had gone so long without. I satisfied my craving with a bacon, egg, and cheese from the local bagel store. After the first bite, I knew I was finally home after 3 long months. 

Sunday 

The next step to being truly satisfied was having my first home-cooked meal since August. Sunday night I walked into my kitchen and it was like I never left. Shoutout to my dad for being the best cook ever. I had my favorite salad along with tomato soup and hamburgers. Highlight of this meal was definitely the salad. My family loves a twist on a Greek salad so that everyone enjoys it. I definitely did not appreciate home-cooked meals until I went too long without them. 

Hannah Lester

Monday 

There is no such thing as too many salads. A big thing I missed from home was always having pre-made salads in my fridge. This salad is from a local organic food store. It is healthy and yummy with sunflower seeds, chickpeas, cheese, and balsamic dressing with iced coffee on the side. I definitely missed this pair. 

Hannah Lester

Tuesday

Medium iced coffee and chicken pesto panini, please. This is my order every time I come to my favorite coffee shop. With my best friend by my side, we always split a sandwich and leave full and happy. Each time seems to be better than the last. 

Hannah Lester

Wednesday 

A trip to Bloomingdales in New York City is never complete without a trip to Forty Carrots. Here you can enjoy a nice lunch or just grab a quick frozen yogurt. 

Saturday

To end this break perfectly, I had another great salad that brought me right back to high school. This salad is from a bagel store where they have a create-your-own salad bar. A few of my favorites include corn, chickpeas, avocado, and grilled chicken with Asian sesame ginger dressing. After this meal, I knew I was leaving home happy and satisfied. 

Hannah Lester

What I learned from coming home for the first time is that it can be very overwhelming to choose where and what to eat. I missed all of my favorite meals from all of my favorite restaurants. The key to success was to not overeat or try to fit in too much; there will always be other opportunities. Although I am ready to go back to school, I am definitely not ready for dinning hall food again, and I cannot wait to do it all over again in three weeks.