Amsterdam is an incredibly popular destination for abroad students, and for good reason. The scenery is beautiful, the people are friendly and there are endless shops and streets to explore. For me, however, the best part of the city is the food. Tourists are known to come specifically for the food in Amsterdam, and bitterballen and poffertjes are seemingly available everywhere. As an abroad student, I also only had two days to squeeze it all in. Because of this, I think it's important to share my 48-hour food guide to this amazing city. 

Nicole Cohen

Friday:

We got in on Friday afternoon, and after being trapped with only airport food as an option for the morning, we were on the hunt for a snack. We stopped by Albert Cuypmarket for a stroopwafel, which is a thin cookie sandwich filled with hot caramel made fresh on the grill. The stand in this market will top your stroopwafel with anything you want—chocolate, nutella, the works. It’s a great snack, and not so filling that you won’t want dinner after. 

Nicole Cohen

For Friday night dinner, we were all craving a real Amsterdam burger. After all, burger popularity has exploded in the city over the past few years, and we were excited to see what the hype was all about, especially after a month in Switzerland where the cheapest Burger King burgers are 12 Francs. We decided on Brouwerj Troost, a hot spot for brews and burgs. Glass walls in the restaurant allowed for a behind-the-scenes look at the brewing process, and the industrial feel of the décor combined with good (albeit loud) music and groups of locals welcomed us to the culture in a slightly less touristy spot.

Saturday:

Saturday morning, we woke up early to get in a good breakfast before a morning canal cruise. We stopped by Pluk on Reestraat (there are 2) for coffee, food and a little bit of shopping (they have really cute stationary, bags, and more). The interior of this restaurant was, in the most basic sense, an Instagram blogger’s dream. It was well-designed, the baked goods were beautiful and smelled amazing, and the food was stellar. We even came back the next day for an afternoon coffee before heading to the airport.

Nicole Cohen

After our cruise, we were on the hunt for lunch. We chose to stop by the Foodhallen, a covered area filled with dozens of permanent food stalls and fun seating. It also ended up being one of my favorite spots we saw in the city. There were a ton of cost-friendly options, and I went for a plate of bitterballen from De Ballenbar. Usually a bar snack, bitterballen are fried bites of meat and cheese. I opted for the spinach and cheese version of the snack, which was perfect to keep me satisfied until dinner.

Nicole Cohen
Nicole Cohen

Cannibale Royale was our choice for Saturday dinner. This spot operates as a delicious steakhouse that works well for groups. The ribs are a favorite, though the burgers do not disappoint either, and their sides are great for sharing.

Sunday

Our Sunday began with another Amsterdam favorite—pancakes. The Pancake Bakery, though delicious, is touristy and can take a long time, so we opted for de Vier Pilaren for a mix of poffertjes and pancakes in traditional Dutch style.

Nicole Cohen

Our last lunch before heading home was a final burger, and we chose The Butcher for ours. This spot was one of my favorites last time I was in Amsterdam, and it was a delicious send-off before heading back to the airport.

Nicole Cohen

Another trip down, and the food in Amsterdam keeps it on my list of my absolute favorite cities. I know I’ll be back for even more shopping, eating and exploring, and it should definitely be considered a must-see for fellow abroad foodies!