Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but there are many different foods to jump-start your morning. When I finally came to terms with the fact that making insta-worthy avocado toast every morning was not realistic, I found Kodiak Cake Power Waffles in the frozen section of the grocery store and I have taken the time to taste their variety of flavors from blueberry to dark chocolate. 

Kodiak Cakes has been around as a family-owned business since the 1980s and rose in popularity after they were featured on Shark Tank in 2014. They offer a variety of breakfast items from frozen Power Waffles to flapjack and waffle mixes. Their products are made with whole grains and are free from GMOs. Each of package of Power Waffles comes with either eight or ten waffles, depending on the flavor, and a serving size is two waffles.

Kodiak Cakes has five flavors of Power Waffles, and each one is distinct from the others. I have eaten several of each flavor of Power Waffles for breakfast this summer and have defrosted them in both the microwave and toaster oven. While each flavor has its perks, one has stood out above the rest. I present you with my definitive ranking of the Kodiak Cake Power Waffle flavors. 

5. Blueberry 

Arielle Gordon

I was excited to try the Blueberry Power Waffles, but I was immediately disappointed. They have a dark green-blue color that looks unappetizing and the taste leaves something to be desired as well. With only small, frozen blueberry pieces added in, the waffles are also dry, which started my day on a rather sad note. 

4. Cinnamon

Near the bottom, we have the cinnamon Power Waffle. In a pinch, it makes for an adequate breakfast, but I wouldn't buy it again. The waffles are both plain and too cinnamon-y at the same time, which makes for a strange taste in the morning. The waffles also smell pretty strongly, which led to some awkward questions when I left them on my desk at work for a few minutes.   

3. Buttermilk & Vanilla

Arielle Gordon

The Buttermilk & Vanilla Power Waffles received the middle ranking because they are perfectly average. The flavor is pretty good, but they are still relatively plain. The vanilla makes them a bit sweet, but not enough to make two waffles feel like a complete meal. Additionally, I would be curious to taste just the buttermilk flavor on its own. 

2. Chocolate Chip

Arielle Gordon

The Chocolate Chip Power Waffles come in just ahead of the Buttermilk & Vanilla, but only because of the mini chocolate chips inside. A bite without chocolate tastes exactly the same as Buttermilk & Vanilla flavor. The chocolate chips melt nicely in the toaster or microwave and make these "grown-up" breakfasts feel a bit like those wonderful eggo waffles of our childhood. 

1. Dark Chocolate

Arielle Gordon

The Dark Chocolate Power Waffles came out on top in this ranking because their delicious combination of chocolate waffle and mini chocolate chips makes me excited to eat breakfast every morning. The waffle tastes good even without chocolate; it has a rich chocolate taste and isn't overly sweet. The chocolate chips melt just like the chocolate chip waffles, but they mix well with the dark chocolate waffle to make a gooey and filling bite.

Overall, Kodiak Cake Power Waffles have been an exciting addition to my morning routine. With 12 grams of protein per serving (two Power Waffles) and a variety of flavors, I have finally found an on-the-go breakfast that fuels my morning. As I lover of all breakfast foods, I am excited to try their pre-made Power Flapjacks and also their variety of boxed mixes.