I love cookies, but not all cookies are created equal. Some Christmas cookies, as classic and festive as they are, are just not that tasty. Whether we eat them because they are classics, our favorites, or because your aunt who spent all day making them will get upset if you don't choke them down, these are some of the cookies that will never not be around at Christmas time. Here is a definitive ranking of some of those Christmas cookies appear every year... whether we like it or not.

11. Store-bought Gingerbread Houses

cake
Rachel Greenland

Gingerbread houses are a holiday staple, but the holiday spirit dies when it comes time to eat those store-bought houses from the kits. Even when they are "fresh" out of the box, those cookies are so dry, tough, and tasteless that they look and taste like they are made of cardboard. As for that packet of royal icing, that flavorless sugar glue is equally as disappointing. Oh well, at least they're fun!

10. Lofthouse Frosted Sugar Cookies

These cookies are polarizing in the food community: you either love them or hate them. I am one who happens to love them, but compared to all of the other delicious cookie options on the Christmas party dessert table, these are not my go-to. They do not have much of a flavor if you get the regular ones, and their texture can be a bit glue-y. 

9. Almond Crescents

I have found these cookies to not be very popular, and I think there is a reason for that. They can be a little too chewy sometimes if done incorrectly, which is keeping them towards the bottom of this ranking.

8. Homemade and Decorated Sugar Cookies

These are a go-to cookie at any holiday season, but they are not always the best cookie around. Depending on the recipe, they can be soft and moist or tough and dry, so that is thy they are still pretty far from #1 on this ranking.

7. Biscotti

chocolate, candy, cake, sweet, pastry, goody
Angela Pizzimenti

Biscotti get a bad reputation for being dry, but, done right, they can be made in so many festive flavors like cranberry-pistachio or cherry eggnog. Before you argue that the sugar cookies are definitely better than biscotti, consider this: since biscotti are often eaten with coffee, they are a great way to eat cookies for breakfast without judgment. That's a win if you ask me.

6. Thumbprint Cookies

Thumbprint cookies are easy and fun to make during the holidays. They are great for kids to help with or they can be precise and impressive. Depending on the jelly flavor and cookie texture, these little bites can be a really nice addition to any cookie platter.

5. Chocolate Snowball

chocolate, sweet
Santina Renzi

Soft, chocolate-y, sometimes a little gooey in the center, and always covered in powdered sugar. 'Nuff said.

4. Gingersnaps

chocolate, cookie, sweet, molasses, pastry, ginger, candy, cake, gingerbread, bread
Maya Giaquinta

Now we are getting to the point in the ranking where I eat a minimum of one dozen of each of these cookies each Christmas. I love gingersnaps because they are soft on the inside with a nice crunchy, sugary outside and that sharp ginger flavor to spice up the Christmas cookie selection.

3. Italian Cookies

These little Italian cookies are a gift from heaven. They are light and fluffy with that awesome anise flavor. This is also the only instance where those crunchy colorful sprinkles are acceptable on food.

2. Pillsbury Shape Sugar Cookies

These classic Christmas cookies are a staple during the holiday season. Although they are store-bought, they are easily one of the best cookies you can buy. However, since they are not exclusively a Christmas cookie, they are #2. 

These cookies are available year-round (Halloween, Easter, etc.) and are so easy to make. So even though I will consume no less than 20 this time of year, that is only a few more than any other time I see them.

1. Peanut Butter Blossoms

Finally, the number one best Christmas cookie goes to Peanut Butter Blossoms! These are definitively one of the best cookies on the planet. They are soft, sugary, peanut-buttery, with chocolate kisses. I have very fond memories of helping my mom make these at Christmas when I was younger. They also make great gifts. How could they not be crowned #1?

And there you have it: the definitive ranking of classic Christmas cookies. Now if you'll excuse me, I only have one more week to get as many of these as I can!