Perhaps the hardest part about going to college for us foodies is parting with our favorite restaurants back home. For me, that was Zaxby’s, hands down. Being a mere mile away from the closest one didn’t help either. Yet, people always try to console me, saying that the Chick-Fil-A on NYU’s campus is just the same. But, really, is it?

Both are staples in the south. Both serve large amounts of chicken. But upon closer examination, Chick-Fil-A and Zaxby’s are quite different. Ultimately, it seems like Zaxby’s trumps Chick-Fil-A. Here’s why.

1. Wings

Zaxby's

Photo courtesy of grubbugs.com

Sometimes all we really want is some finger-lickin’ good wings. Zaxby’s has both bone-in and boneless, and Chick-Fil-A has what? Oh yeah, none. Zax has nine delicious sauces for you to try, but nothing beats their original Tongue Torch.

2. Freshly-made Texas toast

Zaxby's

Photo courtesy of zaxbys.com

If you peep in the kitchen of Zaxby’s, you’ll see fresh loaves of sliced bread ready to be made into Texas toast. They aren’t too garlic-y either, making them the perfect buns for sandwiches.

#SpoonTip: Wipe up your leftover wing sauce with the Texas toast. Mmmmf. 

3. Banana Pudding Milkshake

Zaxby's

Photo courtesy of theicecreaminformant.com

It used to be a seasonal item, but the banana pudding milkshake was made permanent after popular demand. It’s so sweet that you won’t need a dessert after your meal, but also just as satisfying as a drink to go along with your wings.

4. Zax Sauce

Zaxby's

Photo by Josh Bassett

Chick-Fil-A Sauce is smokey and reminiscent of honey mustard, which is cute and all… but Zax Sauce takes its flavor to completely uncharted territory. It’s tangy, creamy, and everything you’ve ever wanted out of a good dipping sauce. So yummy that you can dip virtually anything on the menu in it and it’ll still taste good.

5. Well-seasoned fries

Zaxby's

Photo courtesy of zaxbys.com

Yeah, yeah, waffle fries are bae. We know. But think about it – it’s just a different cut of potato. Zaxby’s puts some garlic salt on theirs and maybe even some paprika. Point is, the depth of flavor on their fries is incomparable. And the fact that these are crinkle cut makes them retain their seasoning better. Just sayin’.

6. Hilarious commercials

Zaxby's

Photo courtesy of ispot.tv

A good food commercial should both entertain and cause cravings, and these knock both criteria out of the park and even occasionally feature celebrities. I mean, c’mon, the guy from Duck Dynasty is eating Zaxby’s, so you should be too.

7. Coca-Cola Freestyle machines

Zaxby's

Photo courtesy of sambuddha.com

While Zaxby’s may not have freshly-squeezed lemonade, they do have an abundance of Coca-Cola products from a machine that’s an experience in itself. There are over 100 combinations to make with the soda machine. Plus, where else can you find peach-flavored Sprite?

8. Fast-casual atmosphere

Zaxby's

Photo courtesy of leviegalapon.wordpress.com

It’s kinda cool how, for the most part, no two Zax restaurants are the same. The decor varies by location and gives a comfortable dining atmosphere – you won’t want to take-out here. Nothing like some good family bonding over some even better chicken.

9. Fried appetizers

Zaxby's

Photo courtesy of zaxbys.com

Zaxby’s has onion rings, fried white cheddar bites, spicy fried mushrooms and tater chips. Sometimes, if you’re lucky, they even have fried pickles.

10. Open on Sundays

Zaxby's

Photo courtesy of plainandfancygirl.wordpress.com

You’re lying if you say you’ve never had Chick-Fil-A cravings on Sundays. Thankfully, you won’t run into that problem with Zaxby’s. The only concern is controlling yourself from going multiple times on a Sunday.

If this made you find a longing for chicken that you never knew you had, no worries. You can always try replicating Zaxby’s delicious food to satiate your needs. It won’t be the same though, but it’ll hold you over until the next time you’re reunited with your true love.