I personally love veggies. Most of my meals consist of some sort of protein with a salad or vegetable on the side. I was raised by very health conscious parents who restricted and controlled most of my eating habits growing up, and hindsight has taught me to be very thankful for that.

This is not the case for everyone. In college. especially, the temptation to eat foods high in fat with little nutritional value is strong, so I am happy for my affinity for all things green. However, it seems that this might be changing. With the growing popularity of things like smoothie bowls and kale, college kids everywhere are jumping at health foods.

A great way to incorporate the nutritional value of vegetables into your diet is by hiding them in your desserts. Vegetables not only add important vitamins, but also richness, depth of flavor and varying consistencies to desserts you already know and love. Here are some great veggies to try:

Beets

These red, root vegetables are full of immune-supporting vitamin C as well as potassium, which is great for nerve and muscle function.

Chocolate Beet Truffles

Vegetables

Photo by Helena Lin

This recipe says to simply boil some beets, and throw them into the blender with the other ingredients. Who knew eating beets could be so decadent and so easy?

Chocolate Beet Cake

Vegetables

Photo by Rael Hanus

In addition to the health benefits, the beets are a great source of extra moisture. Try this bundt recipe.

Zucchini

This summer squash is a great source of Vitamin C, manganese and dietary fiber.

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Vegetables

Photo courtesy of Natsuko Mazany.

This a more popular way to incorporate the vegetable, but a chocolate version is even better. Indulge and get your proper serving of dietary fiber all at once.

Chocolate Orange Zucchini Donuts

Vegetables

Photo courtesy of thepinkpatisserie.com

Let’s face it: donuts are fried dough. While super delicious, they don’t have much nutritional value. However, this baked version incorporates zucchini and a chocolate glaze. Check out the recipe here.

Avocado

They aren’t just trendy, avocados are full of healthy fats that satisfy you for hours without the guilt of ice cream or something fried. They also contain vitamins E, C and K.

Avocado Chocolate Chip Cookies

Vegetables

Photo by Elizabeth Nocera

In this classic cookie recipe, the avocados replace the fats that usually come from oil. I feel healthier just thinking about them.

Chocolate Avocado Truffles

Vegetables

Photo by Emily Hu

Here is another great truffle recipe, but this time with avocados. There really is no excuse at this point to not incorporate them.

Avocado Mousse

Vegetables

Photo by Danielle Cahoon

Since avocados don’t have a strong flavor on their own, they are the perfect base ingredient. Their smooth and creamy texture is perfect for mousse, like this one, and you won’t have to spend a week at the gym to burn it off.

Inside Out Avocado Peanut Butter Cups

Vegetables

Photo courtesy of Katherine Baker.

Peanut butter is awesome, and these inside out cups give you even more of it. Plus, they use avocados and are 100 percent vegan.