As a freshman, I may not be able to appreciate the dramatic change for the better of the DUC. What I can appreciate are vegetarian secrets to making a meal at the DUC that much more enjoyable. It’s no secret that no matter your dietary needs that the dessert table is a DANK option, but my college budget cannot afford a new wardrobe based on gaining the “Freshman 15”.

All you helpless vegetarians feeling like a lost puppy, look no further. Sit back, take notes, and remember next time you go to the DUC with your friends and their jaws drop looking at your amazing lunch, tell them you were #blessed by a vegetarian goddess (mwah) to make the dopest wraps any college dining hall has ever seen.

vegetarian

Photo credit: Hannah Mayblum

1. If you are not getting a wrap, you are already doing it wrong.

vegetarian

Photo credit: gluten-free-n-y-c.com

Let’s be real – bread is meant for those disgusting cold turkey and cheese sandwiches, and us vegetarians are better than that.

2. HUMMUS

vegetarian

GIF courtesy of reddit.com

Hummus is a great source of protein for us.

3. Cheese

vegetarian

GIF courtesy of theteenagegentalman.tumblr.com

Tina Fey loves cheese, and what’s a sandwich without cheese?

4. All that other “good” stuff behind the glass wall

vegetarian

Picture credit : flickr.com

This step is all your preference. I usually grab some lettuce, tomato, and onion.

5. Quinoa

vegetarian

Photo credit: Hannah Mayblum

Protein, protein, protein. We need the same fixing of protein as all those meat lovers. It’s not our fault that we need several items to get the same amount of nutrients they have packed into one.

6. Salad bar items

vegetarian

Photo credit: Hannah Mayblum

At this stage, I generally grab some carrots, broccoli, and olives. Most people frown upon this, but no one is really going to stop you from making the wrap your heart desires.

7. Panini it!

vegetarian

GIF courtesy of tumblr.com

Warm food is better. Let’s be real – who doesn’t appreciate a crispy outside with the warm gooey inside of cheese, hummus, and all that other good stuff. Also, do not be afraid to ask them to use the other panini machine if you see meat overflowing onto the plate where your precious vegetarian panini is about to cook.

8. My favorite hack of them all: salad dressing

vegetarian

Photo credit: conscious cooking.com

Obviously, it’s kind of embarrassing after handing over a bowl of “other” items and freaking out that you don’t want your perfect wrap to be contaminated with any of those gross meat products to ask for sauce, so you just hold off. After receiving your perfect panini, pour whatever salad dressing your heart desires on the side and dip your panini in it.

Since I’m already spilling all my vegetarian secrets for the deli, I’ll give you a bonus hack:

9. The deli makes DANK grilled cheese

vegetarian

GIF courtesy of tumblr.com

Getting a grilled cheese is the only time it’s acceptable to get normal bread. The DUC deli SERIOUSLY knows how to get that perfect crisp of the bread and gooeyness of the cheese combo.

Follow these simple tricks and you’ll be wanting to eat at the DUC instead of spending your precious Dooley Dollars at Cox.

vegetarian

GIF courtesy of weheartit.com