Ice cream stores are a staple in every town in the United States. Americans love ice cream; in fact, the average American eats 22 pounds of ice cream per year, totaling over 20,800 calories.

This summer, I decided to work as an ice cream scooper. The pay was decent, I worked with one of my best friends all day and hello I got to try every one of our 26 flavors daily. During my long shifts in a hot ice cream store, there are a few things that cross my mind.

#SpoonTip: If you were wondering, I work at Udder Heaven in Bar Harbor, Maine which was featured in the Boston Globe this year.

1. 'Again, would like your ice cream in a sugar cone, plain cone or cup?'

Even though I just said this to your kids, you still won't tell me and I will have to ask you again. Get it in a cup and make my life easier please.

2. 'Yes, I can put three scoops on a cone for you, but I really don't want to.'

Although the second I hand you this colossal creamy creation, you will ask for a cup. Don't worry, I already have one in my hand. 

3. 'This is your 13th free sample dude, please just decide.'

cake, chocolate, cream
Emily Palmer

You have made me walk back and forth over ten times now, and no, I will not do it again.

4. 'Wow, I just scooped the perfect scoop.'

A photo posted by Lizz B (@crazycatlizz) on

Although I serve hundreds of cones a day, I am especially proud of this cone. Take a few pictures and I'll be beaming for the rest of the day. (Above photo was actually my creation and I'm still proud of it).

5. *Tip money clinks in jar* 'An extra half scoop never hurt anyone.'

ice, cream, chocolate, wafer, sweet
Anita Wray

As a college student who likes to eat out, I live off of these tips. Give me a good tip and your ice cream will be both bountiful and beautiful.

6. *Cone cracks* 'If they don't see the crack, it doesn't exist.'

waffle, ice, wafer, cream, chocolate
Anita Wray

Yes, it's been a long six hour shift and I really don't want to re-scoop this cone. Lick carefully...

7. 'How did this ice cream end up on my shoulder?'

And no, I have no idea how it got there.

8. 'Seriously, orange sherbet with gummy bears and caramel sauce?'

candy, sweet, chocolate
Kathleen Lee

We know everyone has weird cravings from time to time but... seriously? I'm just grossed out.

9. 'If you ask for hot fudge on a cone again, I will have to interrupt you.'

The name in itself kinda explains why as hot fudge will proceed to drip all over my hand before I even hand it to you. Just please get a cup and I will thank you. 

10. 'Wow, I love my job.'

beer, cake, coffee, pizza, tea
Anita Wray

As much as I bicker and moan about one arm being significantly stronger and getting a stomachache from eating too much ice cream, I really enjoy this job (and the sweet tooth that comes along with it).