By some freak occurrence the semester is over. Let that just sink in for a second.

After the hell of long, late-night study sessions and mental breakdowns over papers, we will finally be able to return to the safety of our homes for winter break. The land where no terrifying exams can touch us.

For these couple of weeks, we will be able to sleep in our own bed, pet our dogs and, most importantly, EAT. Because if there’s one thing that college has taught us, it’s that feeding yourself is hard.

More importantly, there are a number of key things that you didn’t realize you missed about cooking at home. Here is a list of everything that makes us (almost) not want to come back to our inadequate kitchens at school.

Counterspace

Kitchen

Photo courtesy of imgflip.com

Just cooking a box of mac and cheese is way more stressful than it should be because there is NO DAMN ROOM.

No dishes in the sink

Kitchen

Photo by Emma Lally

“I’m still soaking it.” That would be a fair statement if they hadn’t been soaking it for the past five days.

A fully stocked fridge

Kitchen

Photo courtesy of Polina Stegnienko from istockphoto.com

The feeling when you open the fridge only to see half a bottle of Siracha and a squishy apple because you’re not used to doing your own grocery shopping.

Not having to label your food

Kitchen

Photo courtesy of anwers.com

When you’re home you don’t have to worry about vultures – oh, I mean, roommates – stealing your food.

Not paying for groceries

Grocery shopping is all fun and games… Until you see the price when you check out.

No mysterious microwave mess

Kitchen

Photo courtesy of kayladanelle.com

Every week, the microwave is stained with boiled over oatmeal or the remains of a soup explosion. No one wants to own up to it, but you sure as hell know you’re not the one that is cleaning it up.

Name brand products

Your budget only has room for off-brand Oreos and you hate it. And yes, yes we can taste the difference.

All the correct kitchen utensils

My rolling pin is actually a wine bottle.

Mom’s inspirational artwork

Kitchen

Photo courtesy of wallohdesigns.com

It may cue an automatic eye roll upon seeing it, but it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy and happy to be home and not eating ramen noodles every night.