Graduating high school is one of the most exciting times in your life. As you begin your journey into adulthood, there are a lot of unknowns. How do you dress for a business casual dinner? How do you shotgun a beer?

No matter how big or how small, you will find yourself asking a ton of questions once you graduate. Well to answer a few, here are the 9 things I wish I’d known before my freshman year of college.

1. Buying into food trends isn’t the best idea

freshman year

Photo by Mary Kate Turner

The day you start buying into the açaí bowl trend will be the day Huffington Post releases a study about why açaí is actually bad for you and you should be eating something different. It’s okay to like what you like, but don’t eat food just because everyone else is Instagramming it.

2. Gaining weight isn’t always a bad thing

freshman year

Photo courtesy of theolivbranch.wordpress.com

Though everyone fears the freshman 15, sometimes a healthy amount of weight gain shows that you are in a content place in life.

3. Never take that last shot

freshman year

Photo by Steven Baboun

You know the shot I’m talking about. It may be the last shot right before your Uber arrives at the pregame, or the last shot before you switch bars. Trust me, that last shot is never a good idea. Keep it safe, keep it classy.

4. You don’t need that drunken cigarette

Photo courtesy of Morgan on Flickr

Photo courtesy of Morgan on Flickr

It seems like every patio at a college party is filled with people who, “only smoke when they drink.” Well, guess what, a few months later those same people will be hitting up the Shell station for a fresh pack of cigarettes. They’re not cool guys, they’re actually pretty lame.

5. Do not eat the second half of your edible

freshman year

Photo by Ari Richman

There will come a point in time during college where you will be offered drugs – that’s life. If you say yes, that’s your own decision, but if you decide to eat an edible, never, ever eat the second half because you, “don’t feel anything yet.” You’ll feel it. You’ll feel it hard.

6. Make sure to eat outside your comfort zone

freshman year

Photo by Angela Pizzimenti

Whether you are studying abroad, or just in a new city, make sure you branch out and try new cuisine. Yeah, chicken nuggets and fries may taste like home, but that poke bowl may be your new favorite snack. Just try it.

7. Ramen truly will be your best friend

freshman year

Photo by Caitlin Wolper

It sounds like a cliche, but not only is Ramen super cheap, but you can add all kinds of different flavors to spice up your once boring noodles. Seriously, mastering the art of Ramen is one of the most beneficial skills you will learn in college.

8. Learn how to cook one meal from scratch

freshman year

Photo by Daniel Schuleman

Ramen is great, but you can’t live off noodles alone. Make sure you learn how to cook one solid meal. Not only will it keep you from spending all your money on fast food, but you will impress the hell out of any date you have if you cook for them.

9. The drunken walk to Taco Bell isn’t exercise

freshman year

Photo courtesy of Steph Dietz

Sure, the walk may take 30 minutes, but going on a drunk expedition for food does not count as working out. Take care of your body because it’s the only one you’re going to have, and if you don’t, you will regret it.