If you have spent any time on Instagram whatsoever then you may have seen how the whole world has gone completely nuts over Avocado (pun intended). We even now have an avocado emoji. It’s an all out Avo-calypse out there.

Avocado for breakfast. Try to contain your drooling over there.

Avocado

Photo by @fibzkitchen on instagram

Avocado for lunch. Who doesn’t love it on a tasty sandwich?

Avocado

Photo courtesy of @consciouschris on instagram

Avocado for dinner. My personal favorite way to eat it is in a creamy pasta sauce I make in less than 5 mins. Seriously. It’s delicious AF.

And yes even avocado ice cream for dessert. (Between you and me, the jury is still out on that one.)

Avocado

Photo courtesy of @e.jake.garcia on instagram

Okay, we get it. Avocados are damn tasty and extremely versatile, but is it worth all the Insta-hype and rising costs as a result?

Avocado has been deemed one of the World’s Healthiest Foods, so here are 10 major benefits and reasons for getting your avocado on.

1. It has has more potassium than a banana

Avocado

Photo courtesy of healthyummies.com

While bananas seem to get all the glory, avocados have almost double the amount potassium.

2. It is high in protein

One avocado has 4 grams of good-quality protein among the highest amount coming from a fruit. They contain all 18 of the most important proteins the body needs for its protein-building process.

3. It is packed with fiber

Eating a diet rich in fiber, like found in avocados, reduces blood sugar spikes and helps feed friendly bacteria in the intestine which is super important for digestive health.

4. It can help with weight loss

Avocado

Photo courtesy of @traderjoes_doesitagain on instagram

A 2013 study, funded by the Hass Avocado Board, found that overweight people who ate half an avocado every day felt more full all day compared to people who did not.

5. They are good for your heart

Avocado

Photo courtesy of Twiiter.com

Another study suggested avocados may improve vascular health and have anti-inflammatory effects.

6. It is loaded with nutrients

One avocado contains a third of your daily requirement of vitamin K and folate, and 20% each of the daily requirements of pantothenic acid, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, vitamin C, Vitamin E, niacin, and riboflavin. Plus, if you eat them with other foods, your body is better able to absorb all those nutrients.

7. It lowers “bad”cholesterol

Several studies have reported that diets that include avocado may help lower levels of L.D.L., or “bad,” cholesterol, because the fruit contains heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids which help to defeat unhealthy cholesterol. Plus, it increases HDL (the “good”) cholesterol by up to 11%.

Avocado

Photo courtesy of dearfuture.com

8. It makes your hair and skin more beautiful

The amino acids, antioxidants and essential oils in an avocado can help moisturize dry skin and repair damaged hair.

9. It increases antioxidant absorption

Adding avocado or avocado oil to either salad or salsa can increase antioxidant absorption by up to 15 times the normal.