You might not think about Canadian Thanksgiving as being a “cool” holiday, but after reading this, you will second guess yourself. Canadian cuisine consists of fresh seafood, blueberries, and maple-related treats. If you are really itching to celebrate Thanksgiving early, here are some delicious foods that you can try here in the States.

Starters

P.E.I. Oysters

canadian thanksgiving

Photo courtesy of tripadvisor.com

While not exactly easy to get in the United States, oysters from Prince Edward Island are a must-try when visiting Nova Scotia. They are plump, juicy, and fresh — what else would you want in an oyster?

Poutine

canadian thanksgiving

Photo courtesy of truenorthtimes.ca

Possibly Canada’s most famous dish consists of hot, crispy fries covered in creamy cheese curds with gravy poured over them, what isn’t there to love? If this dish seems like an idea you would love, check out this recipe. You can even make it into a pizza. Got drunchies? Eat poutine. Sad and Alone? Poutine. A very versatile food to say the least.

Hodge Podge

canadian thanksgiving

Photo courtesy of allrecipes.com

This Nova Scotian classic is the perfect way to use up leftover vegetables in your fridge and it’s so simple, anyone can make it. It’s creamy and it’s the best comfort food to warm you up on a cool fall evening. Mouth watering? Find the recipe here.

While some of these foods may seem a bit exotic, there are some similarities when it comes to the main courses. Canadians, like Americans, love meat. They are just as crazy about bacon as we are, if not more.

Main Courses

Maple-Bacon Glazed Turkey with Bourbon Gravy

canadian thanksgiving

Photo courtesy of finecooking.com

Yes, I said Bourbon Gravy. This modern take on a classic Thanksgiving staple will sweep you off your feet and onto the couch in a food coma. Stuffed with rice AND cornbread, covered in maple syrup, bacon, and bourbon? This dish screams American in the most Canadian way possible. You’d better head to the store now and get that turkey. But before you go, check out the decadent recipe here.

Maple-Thyme Roast Chicken

canadian thanksgiving

Photo courtesy of finecooking.com

Turkey always seems like the go-to Thanksgiving meat, but why not spice up an everyday meat, like chicken? Most people love chicken and it’s always a crowd-pleaser. If you’re looking for the perfect dish for an elegant dinner, look no further. You can serve this dish with some creamy smashed sweet potatoes or a nice kale salad and save a little cash while you’re at it. If you’re about to drown in an ocean of your own drool, check out the recipe to save yourself.

Maple-Brined, Wood Smoked Grilled Turkey

canadian thanksgiving

Photo courtesy of finecooking.com

This is the ultimate turkey for those who love to get adventurous with their food. If you’re looking to pump up the volume on your Thanksgiving dinner, you need this recipe in your life. The earthy, smoked, crunchy skin will be the perfect vessel for the sweet, tender, maple-infused meat that you’ll be dreaming about until Christmas. You can thank me later. And don’t let your leftovers go to waste, make the most of them like this.

Desserts

Nanaimo Bars

canadian thanksgiving

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Named after a city in British Colombia, this tasty bar is sometimes served as breakfast, but is most commonly a heavenly dessert. It consists of custard, nuts, coconut, and best of all…chocolate. Find the original recipe here, or the vegan recipe here. Or if you just want an excuse to eat more chocolate, check these out.

Blueberry Grunt

canadian thanksgiving

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

What is the best way to use up the last batch of summer blueberries? If you’re from Canada, the best way by far is to grab that cast iron and make a blueberry grunt. It’s just as simple as a cobbler (or a blueberry cake) and the best part? It can even be made in a dining hall. All you need is a stovetop.

Maple Sugar Pie

canadian thanksgiving

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

This pie might seem familiar to those in the midwest, as it resembles a Sugar Cream Pie (The Indiana State Pie). It is also similar to a creme brûlée. If you enjoy these delicious desserts, then you must try this delicious variety. This features a very special ingredient that’s Canadian specific — maple syrup. How sweet does this sound?

By now, you’re probably on your way to the kitchen, because I know I am. But before you do that, don’t forget to grab some friends and some drinks. Share some of these delicious dishes with your friends and loved ones and show them that our neighbors to the North really aren’t so different after all.