Whether you’re grabbing a snack to go, enjoying a warm cup of coffee or sitting down for a meal, there’s something inexplicably satisfying about sharing those delicious noms on Instagram. But what are you supposed to do if Instagram’s filters just aren’t cutting it for you? That is, if you can’t get the latest update with the customized editing features. You high-tech phone laggers deserve apps that match your personality—apps that get the job done right away.

Basic Editing Apps

instagram editing apps

Photo by Caroline Liu

Whitagram, Free
If you’re into editing the basics (brightness, contrast, exposure or clarity), look no further. Using Aviary’s photo editor, Whitagram easily covers just about everything you need. It even has a pretty unique Splash feature that allows you to pick and choose colors to highlight over your black and white photo. It’s quick, it’s easy to navigate and best of all, it’s free.

Afterlight, $0.99
An already popular supplementary app for Instagram, Afterlight does all you need and a tiny bit more. Not only can it alter your photos for lighting, it also comes with three families of preset filters in case you need a quick-fix before you send your copy to the internet. Even better yet, it comes with useful cropping ratios and cute frames and borders to square-ify (by adding white borders) any photos that might look better slightly rectangular. The only catch? It’s about a dollar, but that’s a small price to play for a greatly improved Insta profile.

VSCO Cam®, Free
This app is a favorite among photographers (have you ever tried searching #vscocam on Instagram?), and for good reason. Easy, minimalistic and free, VSCO Cam® basically takes your photos and neatly packages them into perfect squares of goodness, ready to go. Even better yet, you can post your photos onto the VSCO Grid, where photographers share their works with one another and the world. Pretty cool, right?

Quirky ‘n Cute Editing Apps

instagram editing apps

Photo by Caroline Liu

Rhonna Designs, $1.99
Beautifully combining images and text, Rhonna is the trendy app you can use to take your food photos (fotos? foodos?) to the next level. It’s Android (as well as iPhone) compatible, and even better yet, there are no ads. There is what seems like an endless wealth of content to use so you won’t get bored, but even if you do, there are even more image families available for in-app purchase.

Over, $1.99
With 200+ font options, stock backgrounds, and other design facets, Over is another common app for photo editing. Over might be for you if you and your tablet are inseparable. It’s not only a strong app for design as well as type, but it’s optimised for tablet users, too, if that’s your thing. A similar but free option is Overgram, made by the same company, which contains a more limited selection of fonts.

Typic+, $0.99
Font fiends, this app was made for people like you. You can choose from pages and pages of different fonts and colors. There are high quality doodles and filters for every occasion. It has just the tools to encourage and inspire your food adventures. Just keep in mind: as shown by these three apps, real quirkyness comes at a price. At least Typic+ is the cheapest option.

Spunky Editing Apps

instagram editing apps

Photo by Caroline Liu

Pic Stitch, Free
Some would argue that a collage app is a necessary staple for any iPhotographer. Sometimes, one angle just doesn’t capture the deliciousness enough. Why should you have to compromise? Maybe you need both the shot of your food and the satisfied selfie that goes with it. It’s already 2014 (goshdarnit!) and it’s time we stop limiting ourselves to one photo per post. Who’s with me?

PicLab, Free
For the Snapchat inclined, listen up. You need an app that not only has basic editing features but also gives you the ever-coveted pen tool. That’s right—there’s a photo editor that allows you to share your doodles with the world, and this time for more than just a few seconds. With PicLab wonky smiley faces and crude scribbles are no longer a passing hobby; no, they’re here to stay.

CatWang, Free
As a more esoteric editing option, CatWang acts as a virtual “sticker” app that allows you to put cat faces, junk food and other miscellaneous nonsense on  your photos. Why not add pizza into someone’s mouth? Or put a snapback on your burrito? The mischief never ends.