For the last couple of days, I’ve had a terrible sore throat. I’m sure you’ve all experienced exactly what I’m talking about. It starts off as a little tickle but quickly worsens to an unbearable scratchiness that makes every swallow painful. In true college housing form, I’m sure I’ll pass this along to some fellow housemates (if I haven’t already). To those unfortunate souls who catch my sore throat or really anyone who has or will ever have a sore throat (basically everyone), here are a few food and drink tips that should help soothe the burning and actually treat the symptoms.

1. Chicken Noodle Soup

Of course, there’s the classic, chicken noodle soup. In addition to its soothing warmth, the soup will help give you fluids and nourishment.

Photo by Karina Shedrofsky

2.  Tea, tea and more tea.

Like the soup, the heat feels great. More specifically though, try chamomile, ginger or lemon tea. All three of these ingredients are known to kill bacteria. Chamomile is also a natural pain reliever. While ginger has a pretty potent taste, its strong aroma is what opens up your sinuses. Ginger will also alleviate some of your irritation because it is an anti-inflammatory. Finally, the lemon helps by cutting through any congestion. To help with the taste, stir in some honey with your tea. Besides tasting wonderful, the honey will prevent coughing fits by coating your throat.

Photo by Liana Lis

3. Fluids

Push the fluids. Staying hydrated will keep your mucus membranes lubricated and better able to fight bacteria. Avoid alcohol, caffeine and dairy.

Photo courtesy of Wise Geek

4. Bananas!

This non-acidic fruit is easy on the throat when swallowing, and it’s packed with vitamins to help you recover.

banana

5. Boiled Carrots

Carrots are a great source of nutrients such as vitamin A, C and K. Boiling the carrots will ensure they don’t irritate your throat further.

Charlotte Hull

6. Saltwater

Gargling saltwater will give you immediate relief by flushing out irritants and bacteria, reducing swelling and eliminating mucus.

Photo by Becky Hughes

7. Anything with Garlic

If you don’t have a hot date afterwards, suck on some garlic. Garlic contains allicin, which kills the bacteria that causes strep and fights the germs causing pain and irritation. Just suck on one fresh clove of garlic like a cough drop. Periodically bite into the garlic to release the allicin. You don’t have to actually eat it for this to work though.

garlic

8. Anything with Pomegranate

Pomegranates’ antioxidants fight off your throat’s infection, and its anti-inflammatory traits soothe your throat’s swelling. 

Photo by Parisa Soraya

Check out these other articles:
How to Darty
Review: Billy Goat Tavern
Dim Sum for Dummies
Spice Up Your Guac!