We all love food — talk about obvious. And a majority of us spend our days looking forward to what we’re having for dinner while eating breakfast. Food is love, so why not learn a few healthy facts about what we are eating?

Drinking coffee may protect your liver from diseases.

foods

Photo courtesy of commons.wikimedia.org

How about a cup of coffee after a long day? Coffee decreases the risk of alcoholic liver disease, and having 3 cups a day can cut the risk of liver cancer by almost 50%.

You should always choose tender baby spinach leaves.

foods

Photo courtesy of thedailygreen.com

When it comes to spinach, the smaller the better. Spinach contains a bunch of vitamins and minerals that can do wonders for radiant skin. A lesser-known fact is that it’s 3x healthier when cooked than when it’s raw.

Corn products are more common than you think.

foods

Photo by Mehak Dhawan

There are more than 3,500 different uses for corn, and is in all sorts of products from peanut butter to batteries. There’s actually a LOT to know about corn and there are a lot of products which contain corn that we have no idea about.

Leeks can help with bloating.

foods

Photo courtesy of commons.wikimedia.org

While obesity may be an epidemic, bloating is another serious issue. Leeks help you get rid of bloating and the large amounts of manganese help women fight cramps and mood swings. Sounds like a solution to all #firstworldproblems.

Beer is safer than water.

foods

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Save water, drink beer. The tedious process of brewing makes beer taste good and it contains bacteria that’s good for your stomach and liver, thus making it safer than water. Not a bad deal, huh?

Cucumbers are one of the most hydrating foods.

foods

Photo by Haliana Burhans

Cucumber, your handy skin therapist, is here to save you from swollen eyes and sunburn. It is one of the most hydrating foods, containing 96% water, which helps soothe skin irritation and reduces swelling.

Lemons are one of the healthiest foods in the world.

foods

Photo by Caroline Liu

Lemons save you from hangovers. Isn’t that good enough a reason to love them? We have more, still. They are an excellent source of vitamin C. A lemon a day cleanses the liver and aids in weight loss. Aren’t all fitness freaks just in love with their daily glass of lemonade?

A banana a day keeps depression at bay.

foods

Photo by Julie Haupin

Not only do they contain potassium, but bananas also provide an amino acid that helps bodies make serotonin. Serotonin is known for regulating our mood, and people with depression tend to lack serotonin.

Also, a common symptom of depression is insomnia, and this acid can help people fall asleep more easily. A banana a day, keeps depression at bay; let’s hope this one isn’t exaggerated, folks!