The summer right before university, we are told countless horror stories about the “Freshman 15.” The feared number that supposedly most first year college students will gain around their hips, thighs, and other questionable areas. We read up on articles such as “How to Not Gain the Freshman 15!” and “Is Freshman 15 a Myth?” and come prepared to university having mastered all the ways to steer clear of the undesirable 15.

However, have we thought about all of the great memories that would slip by if we were too preoccupied with avoiding the Freshman 15? Here’s just a few:

1. When your friends eat at midnight.

Freshman 15

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

Movie marathons with friends, all-nighter study sessions, and nights of partying and fun all call for greasy midnight snacks. The familiar smells of late night delivery pizza and Chinese take out embody student life.

2. Skipping the dessert table in the dining hall.

Freshman 15

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

In the dining hall, playing with food is encouraged. Dining hall food can get boring and learning food hacks is a way to both have fun with your food and turn that plain old cookie into an ice-cream sandwich. My personal favourite dining hall hack was the shirley temple.

3. Ordering boring drinks at Starbucks.

Freshman 15

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

Coffee is inevitable at university. What better time to experiment the types of orders and massive requests available at Starbucks than now? For suggestions on what to order, check out this article on Starbucks upgrades.

4. Not drinking a lottt with your friends.

Freshman 15

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

That one night you and your friends buy a bottle of vodka thinking it is a good idea to drink all of it in one night. Whether the night turns out bad or good, it always makes for a good story later on.

5. When your friends order drunk food.

Freshman 15

Photo by Nancy You

A night out isn’t truly complete without drunk food. Having a go-to food, like fries or pizza, is the icing on the cake for a perfect ending.

6. When your mom cooks your favorite meal your first weekend back home.

Freshman 15

Photo by Nancy You

The first home cooked meal of your first college break will probably make you cry. The easy accessibility and plethora of options at university is a one way door to tastebud nirvana but you’ll realize that there’s nothing quite like homemade food to satisfy your needs.

7. Eating out after finals.

Freshman 15

Photo by Nancy You

Food helps to relieve stress, it’s scientifically proven.

Chocolate releases several neurotransmitters such as endorphins, which decrease levels of stress and pain. If you need more convincing, check out this article on how great chocolate really is.

At the end of the day, you are worth more than what the scales say. So go ahead, freshmen, and eat all that your heart desires. Quit counting calories and continue the tradition of the Freshman 15.

Freshman 15

GIF courtesy of tumblr.com