Montreal is one of the restaurant capitals of the world, so there’s no doubt that McGill students know how to eat. Even with the endless amount of restaurants at our disposal, there are just some places McGill students can’t resist posting about. Whether it’s because they’re close to campus or just straight up beautiful, chances are you’ve seen these eight foods in your feed many times.

1. Avocado Toast at Dispatch

McGill

Photo courtesy of @therestlessstomach on Instagram

Avocado toast has been trending a lot over the past year and for good reason. Not only does it make for an aesthetically pleasing photo, but it’s a pretty healthy snack too. Dispatch serves up a mean avocado toast that also happens to be on meal plan so it’s a win-win situation for McGill students.

2. Nachos at Lola Rosa

McGill

Photo courtesy of @munchies_across_the_map on Instagram

Lola Rosa is a very popular restaurant among McGill students because it is only a block away from campus and it serves up some killer vegetarian fare. Lola Rosa’s most popular (and instagrammable) dish has to be their Nachos. The huge portion of chips, mozzarella, black beans and veggies is only $9 and can fill you up for hours.

3. Chocolate-Dipped Cone at La Diperie

McGill

Photo courtesy of @spoon_mcgill on Instagram

During the summer months, Montreal is home to an abundance of ice cream shops, one of the trendiest being La Diperie. A photo of a chocolate-dipped, pretzel-covered cone in front of a turquoise wall is bound to show up on your feed as soon as the warmer months hit.

4. Poutine

McGill

Poutine may just be the most popular food in Montreal (there’s a whole week dedicated to it). Whether you ate it drunk at 3am or as an afternoon snack, no McGill student’s feed would be complete without a photo of the cheesy, greasy goodness that is poutine. (Bonus points if it’s from La Banquise, aka the best poutine in the city)

5. Mason Jar Drinks at La Distillerie

McGill

Montreal has no shortage of bars that serve cheap beer and mixed drinks, but sometimes that can become a little boring. La Distillerie is the perfect place to enjoy some delicious cocktails served in mason jars that are definitely insta-worthy. Although the drinks may be a little pricey, it surely doesn’t stop McGill students from flocking to one of their various locations.

6. Lattes from Café Humble Lion

McGill

Located right across from the Roddick Gates on Sherbrooke, Humble Lion is for the days when Tim Hortons just won’t cut it. Their drip coffee and standard espresso drinks are excellent, but their maple latte is definitely the best thing they offer. With beautiful latte art and mouthwatering pastries (I’m looking at you bacon and cheese scones), it’s hard to resist snapping a pic during your coffee run.

7. Chocolate Desserts from Cacao 70 or Juliette et Chocolat

McGill

Montreal has a surprising amount of chocolate-themed restaurants, the most notable being Juliette et Chocolat and Cacao 70. Both have locations very close to campus so you never have to trek far to get your chocolate fix. Juliette et Chocolat has excellent crepes and Cacao 70 is known for their chocolate pizza and make-your-own s’mores. Everyone knows chocolate desserts are super photogenic, so it’s easy to understand why these places are so popular on Instagram.

8. Bagels from St. Viateur or Fairmount

McGill

Montreal bagels are world-renown for being crispy, soft and slightly sweet. No McGill student should graduate before taking a trip to Mile End to try the Montreal specialty. Whether they’re from St. Viateur or Fairmount, these bagels are sure to be found on your feed at any time of day.

Let us know what your favorite Montreal eats are by tagging us in your Instagram posts @spoon_mcgill.