Ever seen a dish on TV or a movie that you just had to have?  Wishing you could stick your hand right through the screen and start to devour it?

These 8 iconic foods and drinks epitomize that feeling of despair you get when you know you will never be able to bite into the glorious grub on your computer screen.

1. Spongebob Squarepants: Krabby Patty

iconic foods

The Krabby Patty. A perfect recipe of a fresh, juicy burger made by Spongebob himself. After watching Squidward gain hundreds of pounds after tasting his first patty (or 500), every child has yearned for a bite of a Krabby Patty from the Krusty Krab. Was it crab? Beef? Who knows, but we’d try one regardless.

2. Parks and Recreation: Waffles

iconic foods

Leslie Knope’s favorite food in the entire Parks and Rec series is the waffles at JJ’s diner. This woman tops her beloved waffles with mountains of whipped cream and tons of syrup, the more sugar the better. You gotta wonder if it’s the waffles, the toppings, or is simply the state in which Leslie ends up in after eating her waffles that just makes them look so damn good.

3. The Princess Diaries: Green Sorbet

iconic foods

The Princess Diaries, Buena Vista Pictures

Every girl remembers Princess Mia sitting down to her important diplomat dinner so prim and proper only to take a huge gulp of the soft green sorbet and get a huge brain freeze.  I’ve always wanted to get my own glass cup and be served this mysterious “palate cleanser” to taste it for myself. Would it be sweet? What exactly does a palate cleanser entail?

4. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: Toot Sweet

iconic foods

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, United Artists

In the movie, the father brings his kids to a candy factory to test the sweets with the owner. Apparently it’s so good that the candy has an entire song devoted to it. The half candy, half whistle hybrid is loved by all until dogs are attracted to the noise, ruining the chances of us ever getting a taste of Toot Sweet.

5. Friends: Monica’s Candies

iconic foods

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

To make friends with people in her apartment building, Monica (a professional chef) decides to cook candies and leave the chocolate covered morsels outside her door. Neighbors become so obsessed with her creations they swarm her apartment in mob mentality till she breaks down and stops her candy business, leaving viewers to wonder what was in these mysterious bonbons.

6. Teletubbies: Tubby Custard

iconic foods

Gif courtesy of imgur.com

These alien-esque creatures know how to make some solid food. The Tubbies were the original foodies, constantly obsessing over dishes from custard to toast. The tubby custard in particular was always intriguing, as the bubblegum pink color leaves little clue as to what tubby custard actually tastes like. I always wanted to try the substance that spewed from that odd custard machine.

7. Jimmy Neutron: Purple Flurp

iconic foods

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

The main soda drank by the boy genius. Everyone wanted to try the drink and see if it really was worth having with almost every meal, or if Jimmy’s dad really had to spit it out and drink it back up with the time travel remote Jimmy made. Seems a little excessive if you ask me, but hey, the pop might just be that good.

8. Harry Potter: Butterbeer

iconic foods

Gif courtesy of deviantart.com

Harry and the gang would always chill in the Three broomsticks and Kickback a couple butter brews, and most HP fans have thought of how the warm drink would taste on a quick trip to Hogsmeade in the heart of winter. This one is an exception to the list, since Hogsmeade now exists in the middle of Florida, just so you can really experience what the cast did back in ’05.

If you loved these movie throw backs, check out some other Spoon articles: