At the beginning of the semester, you stocked your mini-fridge with grapes, organic apple sauce, and lettuce, thinking you’d keep your dorm room snacking to a healthy minimum. But then life happened, and now your mini-fridge contains only Svedka and you’re surviving on manufactured pasta products. Here are the most common dorm foods at Colgate, and how to upgrade them so you can at least feel like you’re eating real food.

1. Easy Mac

dorm

Photo by Kai Huang

Whether you spent your night partying or studying, Easy Mac is your best friend at 2am. If it’s not Mac and Cheese that you reach for, it’s probably Ramen, or Chef Boyardee if you’re really serious. Basically, if it has tons of MSG and microwavable pasta, you can find it in a college dorm.

When Frank isn’t cutting it but you’re bored with plain old powdered cheese, check out these delicious Easy Mac hacks to elevate your mac.

2. Popcorn

dorm

Photo by Chelsea Hawk

Whether you’re watching Netflix in bed or actually doing homework, some warm buttery popcorn is the perfect snack. It’s fast, it’s easy, and it may or may not be healthier than chips. The next time you’re throwing a Bachelor/Scandal/House of Cards viewing party and want to impress your friends with your culinary skills, try these recipes for sweet and savory popcorn.

3. Goldfish

dorm

Photo courtesy of seriouseats.com

Let’s be honest: these little fishies are always there for you. They provide that salty-cheesy-crunchy goodness that you crave when up late doing homework, and they also remind you of simpler times, when all you had to worry about was whether your next birthday party should be Shrek-themed or Aladdin-themed. Add some Goldfish to a lunch of PB&J and carrot sticks, and you’ve got yourself a full-blown throwback lunch.

4. Peanut Butter

dorm

Photo by Maggie Gorman

Peanut butter is one of those foods that is just as good on its own as it is as a spread. Whether you dip celery, apples, bananas, or pretzels in it, or just eat it by the spoonful, peanut butter provides you with the protein to help you take on your next essay.

Peanut butter also pairs beautifully with chocolate (duh), making it a main ingredient in tons of awesome (and easy!) dessert recipes. Check out these recipes for no-bake chocolate peanut butter bars, chocolate PB truffles, and PB fudge.

5. Clementines

dorm

Photo by Madison Mounty

These little drops of sunshine are the MVPs of the fruit world. They’re easy to peel, easy to store, and can be bought in bulk for a steal, so they’re ideal for college students who are looking for a bit of fuss-free nutrition.

6. Granola Bars

dorm

Photo by Alex Tom

When you’re running off to class or work, a granola bar is always what you reach for. Something with grains, nuts, and fruit (and chocolate) provides you with the fiber and protein that you need to power through your busy day. If you’re looking to clean up your diet and cut out some of the artificial flavors and chemicals that inevitably find their way into store-bought bars, try these amazing homemade banana peanut butter granola bars. They’re super yummy and will give you the clean nutrition and energy that your body needs.

7. Oreos

dorm

Photo courtesy of parade.com

These babies need no explanation. There’s nothing in life that heals the soul quite like a full sleeve of oreos. A package of oreos usually doesn’t last long, so before you and your roommates devour them all during an episode of Bad Girls Club, set aside a few and try one of these amazing dessert recipes:

No-Bake Oreo Peppermint Cheesecake

dorm

Photo by Gabby Phi

No-Bake Peanut Butter Oreo Pie

dorm

Photo by Xinwei Zeng

8. Cereal

dorm

Photo by Jayna Goldstein

Every once in a while you find yourself in the grocery store to stock up on real food for the week and end up walking out with a box of Lucky Charms and all the other aforementioned snacks. There’s no shame in wanting to relive some childhood bliss, and nothing says bliss like eating cereal out of the bag by the fist-full. If you want to upgrade your cereal-eating experience, try these ~magically delicious~ Lucky Charms pancake cups.

If any or all of these items can be found in your dorm room, congratulations, you’re a true college kid. These four years are meant to be spent eating snacks with absolutely no nutritional value, so eat Goldfish for breakfast, and do it with pride!