So there’s a somewhat eclectic mix of foods on this list. I don’t recommend you eat them all at once, because that would actually be pretty gross. But then again, Easter is the time to indulge yourself after your deprivation during Lent. There’s also some religious significance there, but I’ll be able to think about the meaning of Easter Sunday only after I’ve had my ridiculously large Easter brunch, paid for by the ‘rents.

Gone are the days of Easter egg hunts for me. I think it stopped being cute when I was about ten, but I that didn’t stop me from casually taking candy from the younger kids as they did their egg hunt. It was literally like taking candy from a baby. I have no regrets.

1. Peeps

Peeps

Photo by Daisy Dolan

Yeah, so maybe they have zero nutritional value of any kind, and are just colored marshmallows with a little bit of sugar on top, but don’t hate. They’re fun and they’re cute.

2. Jelly Beans

Easter Foods

Photo by Marissa Sherman

Is this really an Easter food? The answer is yes. I do believe that jelly beans were found in the actual cave from which Jesus rolled away the stone. He was surrounded by jelly beans and was like “oh my Dad I have to get out of here”

3.Chocolate bunnies

Untitled

Photo by Daisy Dolan

They’re adorable, they’re delicious, and you can bite their head off if you’re feeling angry at your relatives on Easter!

4. Cadbury Creme Eggs

Easter Foods

Photo by Marissa Sherman

I actually have never had a Cadbury Creme, but Easter is all about the eggs. And if you aren’t into the hard boiled kind, then take a minute and enjoy some chocolate filled with deliciousness.

Okay, let’s get down to business. No more candy, no more chocolate.

5. Lamb

Photo by Lauren Thiersch

Lamb is the numero uno sacrificial animal, poor little guy. When you think “sacrifice” if you’re not thinking 1000 virgins, you’re definitely thinking “baby sheep.” Why is it a tradition though? Besides the fact that in Christianity Jesus is called “The Lamb of God,” lambs would also be the first meat available after a long winter. With all the other meat gobbled up in the offseason, in the early spring the only thing left were the lambs just born. Pretty rough destiny for these guys, but there ya have it once again, the combination of religious beliefs and practicality. Although my family doesn’t sacrifice the lamb (cause that would be weird) we do partake in some delicious lamb roast every Easter. I am truly sorry for the vegetarians out there, but a nice lamb roast is hard to beat. Add some rosemary and garlic rub and I don’t think Jesus himself could do better.

6. Ham

Untitled

Photo by Daisy Dolan

Also a very traditional Easter meat. Pigs were a symbol of good luck in ancient times, and also a big side of ham was the only meat that took the whole winter to cure. While bacon took a shorter time, and could be consumed all winter long, a family sized piece of ham was only ready just in time for spring, and voila! There you have your Easter meal!

7. Hardboiled Eggs

Photo by Lauren Thiersch

Let’s go back to that Easter Egg hunt that I definitely DID NOT participate in up until the age of 17. They were plastic eggs filled with candy yes, but what did I get when I finished the hunt (and absolutely demolished all those puny five year olds)? I got to go inside and eat some delicious eggs.

8. Which brings me back to last food. Deviled Eggs.

spicy deviled eggs

Photo Courtesy of Justydrink via Flickr

These bad boys get their name from a guy named William Underwood in 1822 Boston. He prepared meats and eggs with a special kick, usually from Dijon Mustard or cayenne pepper. This method of preparation is used all across Europe under various names, but Willy Underwood was the first to call them Deviled.