For those of you who haven’t yet tried it, American fair food is some of the unhealthiest, overpriced, and sometimes grossest food you will ever eat. Everything is fried and some level of processed. In fair food vendor logic, everything tastes better with cheese sauce and fake bacon bits. You better believe you’ll have a stomach ache the next day.

At this point, you might be wondering why anyone would even want to eat this food and why I am urging you to try it. It’s because there is something special about walking around with a piece of fried dough that was fried before your eyes and not having a clue what ingredients it was made from.

I believe that fair food is a special delicacy to be eaten once a year on a warm summer evening while being bitten by mosquitoes. There’s only one month left of summer, so you better find a local fair quickly. Just make sure not to eat every treat on this list all in one day.

Fried Oreos

fair food

Photo courtesy of @WalterPro4755 on flickr.com

I don’t know who thought Oreos would taste better fried, but they were right. You can make your own delicious deep fried Oreos too if you can’t find a fair near you.

Blooming Onion

fair food

Photo courtesy of @deliciousisrael on Instagram

Perfect for sharing and probably my favorite on this list. Ask them to put bacon and cheese on this one too, but don’t forget the dipping sauce.

Curly Chips

fair food

Photo courtesy of @griffinarts on flickr.com

Where I’m from, vendors like to coat these chips in cheese sauce and bacon bits and lovingly nicknamed it “The Heart Attack.” Check this recipe out for your own homemade chips.

Cotton Candy

fair food

Photo courtesy of @SSShupe on flickr.com

The most classic carnival snack and twice the price you’ll find it for anywhere else—awesome.

Corn Dog

fair food

Photo courtesy of @Jenn Larsen on flickr.com

Corn dogs are incomplete without a stripe of mustard or ketchup, but don’t ask what’s in the meat or dough. Corn dogs are especially great for dinner while walking to carnival rides. Can’t stomach fair foods? Try making corn dog muffins instead—they’re like the fair at home.

Fried Pickles

fair food

Photo courtesy of @indulgenteats on Instagram

You’re going to want to make these at home too. And don’t forget the ranch dressing.

Funnel Cake

fair food

Photo courtesy of @nathalie.cone on flickr.com

Funnel cakes go by many names and can be topped with anything from fruit preserves to caramel sauce. This fry version is just as good or better.

Deep-Fried Butter

fair food

Photo courtesy of @It’s Holly on flickr.com

I have yet to try this one, and I’m not 100% sure you should. But if you have the guts (literally), tell me how it is. Or make them yourself with this delicious butter ball recipe.