When we did Don’t Guac (our first annual guacamole competition) at the Spoon U chapter of the University of St Andrews back in Feb 2016, there were rumors flying around that some competitors were getting fresh avocados flown in from California for the occasion.

Is this true? Honestly, I never bothered to find out. I wouldn’t be surprised, because avocados in Tesco have a great way of sucking. But just because avocados in Scotland are terrible doesn’t mean all Scottish food is.

Actually, Scotland’s more like a place foodies want to stay and linger, but maybe not for the reasons that you’d think. Here’s my 78 reasons why.

1. Scotland has St Andrews

scotland

Photo courtesy of Emma Rebein

Scotland has St Andrews. St Andrews has SPOON St Andrews. Spoon St Andrews is awesome (and all about food + foodies). Science.

2. Wild Scottish strawberries

scotland

Photo courtesy of @frankandlusia on Instagram

They’re suuuuuper seasonal, but show up in Scotland at the right time and you’ll find farmers markets anywhere from Edinburgh to tiny villages in the Hebrides stocked up with them. Tiny and only grown in the wilderness of the Scottish woodlands, they’re the some of the sweetest berries I’ve ever tasted.

Take some of those strawberries and make ’em into this no-bake strawberry cheesecake (uh, yum!).

3. Plus Scotland’s other deliciously fresh produce

scotland

Photo courtesy of @storehouserestaurant on Instagram

There are farmer’s markets errrrrrywhere.

4. Scottish seafood

scotland

Photo courtesy of @roomac91 on Instagram

Don’t argue with me on this. Scotland has Anstruther Fish Bar, one of Britain’s finest fish and chip establishments. Also, have you seen Scotland’s coast line? That’s some of the world’s best fishing, and some of the world’s best tasting fish. Scotland wins.

Those deep lochs (see: Loch Ness) and cold surrounding oceans (see: the Atlantic Ocean and the North Sea) provide Scotland with all the goods necessary for some delicious and fresh fish. Salmon, haddock, trout, and mackerel are just a few readily available fish, and you can also sample Scotland’s fresh shellfish, including crab, lobster, prawns, scallops, and mussels among others. Two of Scotland’s famous Michelin restaurants located on the Isle of Skye serve some of the best seafood around, so check them out.

5. Highland cow is top quality meat

scotland

Photo courtesy of @visitscotland on Instagram

If you, like me, consider a thick slab of steak one of the best meals you could possibly ingest, you would find Scotland a wonderful place indeed (and here’s why eating meat is rad). The Highland cow, though much furrier and cuter than it’s warm weather, short-haired cousins, is known for it’s premium meat. Seriously, the meat is regarded as one of the world’s highest quality and is much lower in cholesterol than other varieties of beef, meaning in the long run, you’ll be slightly healthier for it, too.

6. Also, their milk is dank too

scotland

Photo courtesy of invedic.com

With a really high butterfat content, it’s supposedly one of the more delicious varieties of cow milk. Probably really good with some fresh pancakes in the morning.

7. Also, we have the great pablo

scotland

Photo courtesy of Your Union Events on Facebook

Although it’s only located in the lil’ seaside town of St Andrews. In case you needed more persuasion to visit Scotland (you really didn’t).

8. Scottish fudge is on a level of it’s own

scotland

Photo courtesy of @nadineeross on Instagram

You’d literally be the most oblivious person ever if you couldn’t figure out within ten minutes of wandering around Edinburgh’s Royal Mile that Scotland is hugely known for its fudge. I’ve gotta say, it’s a pretty delicious way to satisfy your sweet tooth. But if you can’t make it to Edinburgh, here’s an easy way to make homemade chocolate fudge.

9. Glasgow is the home of the deep fried Mars bar

scotland

Photo courtesy of roughguides.com

‘Nuff said. Here’s more delicious deep fried foods, tho.

10. Shortbread originates from Scotland

scotland

Photo courtesy of grandparents.com

And has a better tasting cookie ever existed? Not on this planet.

11. There’s 50 million ways to eat potato, and the Scots know all of them

scotland

Photo courtesy of domesticsluttery.com

Did you think the Irish ate a lot of potato? Oh, just wait and see how much the Scots eat. Potatoes, otherwise known as “tatties,” are definitely cooked in every way imaginable. Save some room for the tattie scone, which will blow your mind (at least in my opinion). Scottish breakfast may be slightly horrid in 99 other ways, but the tattle scone is that proverbial bright light in the otherwise dark room.

12. Where else can you try haggis?

scotland

Photo courtesy of visitscotland.com

While I have yet to meet anybody who likes eating haggis on the regular, you have to give the Scots credit. It’s a pretty unique food. And one that proves you’re a pretty bad ass foodie, if you have the guts to try it #foodchallenge.

13. Scotland has 14 Michelin Star restaurants

scotland

Photo courtesy of knockinaamlodge.com

For a restaurant, getting awarded a Michelin Star is basically like getting a Grammy. Like you made it. Scotland has 14 restaurants with Michelin Stars, which isn’t bad at all for such a small country.

14. It’s also the home of whisky

scotland

Photo courtesy of @wineclub_surgut on Instagram

Whether you’re more a old fashioned kinda fan or you fancy yourself a Jack & Coke, that wouldn’t be possible without Scottish influence. According to this article, more Millennials prefer whisky over vodka. So if you don’t, you should probably get with the times.

15. Just look at this whisky marmalade

scotland

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Just. Genius.

16. And have you heard about pizza crunch?

scotland

Photo courtesy of @brotherbrunopizzadelivery on Instagram

AKA deep fried pizza. Pretty freaky, pretty greasy, and not surprising at all that the Scots invented it. I mean, it’s totally the type of thing you’d want to check off your foodie bucket list, right?

17. There’s a lot of questionable food names and being able to say you’ve eaten them will make you a total #badass

scotland

Photo courtesy of @h_warman25 on Instagram

Ever thought about trying festy cock or rumbledethumps? No? What about strippit baws? And we’re not joking…

18. Plus, Irn-Bru, amirite?

scotland

Photo courtesy of @carriemac on Instagram

I literally just read an Amazon review of Irn-Bru stating that it tastes like “bottled happiness.” Now, having tried it myself before, I can’t really say I agree, but each to their own. Worth a shot, right?

19. Also, Scottish cheese is the shit

scotland

Photo courtesy of @paxtonscheese on Instagram

Did you know the Scottish climate is really great for making cheese? Seriously. Today, there’s over two dozen gourmet cheesemakers in Scotland. Scottish cheddar is the most popular, although there’s quite a few types unique to Scotland: including Bonnet, a pressed goat’s milk cheese from a dairy in Ayrshire, Brodick Blue, a type of ewes milk cheese from Brodick, and Peatland, a white molded soft cheese made in small quantities among others.

20. But there’s also plenty of international food too

scotland

Photo courtesy of Hanam’s Kurdish & Middle East Restaurant on Facebook

Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Aberdeen are just a few of Scotland’s cities that provide incredible international fare, whether you’re feeling some Italian, Indian, Chinese, Kurdish, Lebanese, American, and more. Just check out some of Edinburgh’s best cultural eats.

21. It’s also a great place to cure your hangover after a big night out

scotland

Photo courtesy of @a_verb_having_fun on Instagram

Thank you, Buzzfeed for introducing us to this goodness.

22. We also have Tunnock’s caramel wafer

scotland

Photo courtesy of Tunnock’s on Facebook

Their caramel wafers are a mainstay in Scotland since they were created in 1890 by Thomas Tunnock. They’re so good, St Andrews even has a Tunnock wafer appreciation society.

23. Tunnock also have the world’s most famous teacake.

scotland

Photo courtesy of @s_nielsen87 on Instagram

#win.

24. Scottish ales are pretty insane

scotland

Photo courtesy of @larsvasset on Instagram

Some top rated beers from Scotland include the locally produced Dark Island Reserve, Black Douglas Ale, and Blackfriar. You gotta try them. I mean, Scotland loves beer so much it even has a Great Scottish Beer Celebration.

25. AND Scottish gin…

scotland

Photo courtesy of Edinburgh Gin on Facebook

According to The Scotsman, Scotland is undergoing a gin revival. And rightly so, with incredible distilleries producing incredible gins. Try some locally produced brans like NB Gin, Edinburgh Gin, Pickering’s Gin, and more.

26. Plus, the incredible Scottish tablet

scotland

Photo courtesy of @eilidh_macpherson on Instagram

It’s not fudge. But it is delicious.

27. Scotland’s so foodie, it even has a Foodie Festival

scotland

Photo courtesy of eatingedinburgh.com

With loads of gourmet samples for you to taste, the ticket is well worth it. In fact, Edinburgh’s Foodie Festival is so big, it’s the biggest food festival in the United Kingdom. There’s everything from tea tastings to a chili eating competition, so basically everything to keep foodies occupied (and full) all day. And it’s the perfect thing to do in the summer.

28. Scottish crisps > English crisps

scotland

Photo courtesy of Mackie’s of Scotland on Facebook

Local Mackie’s of Scotland Crisps have the craziest flavors. Like Scotch Bonnet Chili Pepper, Whisky & Haggis, and Butterscotch. How Scottish.

29. And whoa, Scottish lobsters…

scotland

Photo courtesy of Kim McKay on Facebook

Fun fact: Scottish lobsters are used exclusively in 20+ Michelin starred restaurants in Tokyo. They’re that good.

30. 40 bottles of Scottish whisky are shipped overseas PER SECOND.

scotland

Photo courtesy of @domwhisky on Instagram

Just kinda let that soak in for a bit.

31. Cranachan is some kinda wonderful

scotland

Photo courtesy of @josevitorpistori

Cream, honey, whisky-soaked oats, and raspberries. Yes, please.

32. Ever heard of haggis hurling?

scotland

Photo courtesy of milngavieherald.co.uk

Did you know that the Scottish compete in a sport called “haggis hurling?” Yup, they compete in how far they can throw a helping of sheep’s lung. The current world record holder, Lorne Coltart, threw a 1.5 lb haggis 217 feet back in 2011. Legend.

33. Legend has it Marmalade originated from Dundee

scotland

Photo courtesy of @olga_zielinska on Instagram

Maybe the only great thing ever produced there. (Biased, sorry, St Andrews rivalry and all that.)

34. Legend also has it Tikki Marsala was born in Glasgow

scotland

Photo courtesy of @smirk_o on Instagram

According to the son of Ali Ahmed Aslam, who owns Glasgow’s Shish Mahal restaurant, they apparently created Tikki Marsala first. And since it’s such a huge hit ’round the world, MP Mohammad Sarwar actually put forward a motion in the House of Commons in 2009 that Tikki Marsala should be given EU protected geographical status. Unfortunately, the motion wasn’t taken any further, but #whatever ’bout it now, ’cause #Brexit.

35. If you’re a bird fan, you should try the Scottish Grouse

scotland

Photo courtesy of wild-scotland.co.uk

On 12 August, a.k.a. “the Glorious 12th,” hunters take to the woods to hunt the famous Scottish Grouse. If you’re no hunter, please see your local Scottish restaurant for some delicious cut of this famous bird.

36. Porridge is #lyfe

scotland

Photo courtesy of @fannythefoodie on Instagram

One of the University of St Andrews’s best traditions is Raisin, and while it’s real complex to explain it to non-St Andrews people (and honestly, I’ve got so many reasons to go I’m not going to bother, other than give you this link if you wanna know more), it’s deeply connected to porridge. And raisins (and wine, which is kinda like a raisin, right?). But porridge, yo.

37. The Scottish also drink more vodka than anyone else

scotland

Photo courtesy of Absolut Vodka Danmark on Instagram

Thanks, LadBible, for this glowing endorsement. Scottish people apparently consume an average of 41 bottles of vodka per year. Considering my activities (and my credit card bills) going into Sinners Wednesday’s, I kinda agree with that assessment.

Also, ever try to out drink a Scot? You can’t.

38. Robert Burns also wrote an “Ode to Haggis”

scotland

Photo courtesy of bbc.co.uk

Full ode, and translation, in the link above. Scotland’s most famous poet actually loved it that much. You’re welcome.

39. The Today Show says Scottish food is the next big thing

scotland

Photo courtesy of outlanderkitchen.com

So it must be true.

40. If you’re some kind of savage, you can even experiment with the Arbroath Smokies

scotland

Photo courtesy of arbroathsmokies.net

A smoky haddock that is dried overnight, and only produced within a 5-mile radius of the Scottish fishing village of Arbroath, it truly is a Scottish specialty. Although not as terrifying as the dried sharks of Iceland (honestly, gross), it’s still for the adventurous. Kinda seems like a jerky fish to me, so if you’re into that, kudos.

41. Ice cream

scotland

Photo courtesy of embracescotland.co.uk

No, really? If you thought the Italians or Ben and Jerry’s had cornered this market, you have thought wrong. Check out Nardini’s in Largs, an over 200-seat cafe, which has served ice cream since 1930. There’s even a 12-scoop Clyde Coast Extravaganza.

42. Farm shops

scotland

Photo courtesy of visitscotland.com

The abundance of sheep filled hills not only brings your heart wonder but it also should make you wonder how many farms there are in Scotland. The answer? Many. But never too many. Because those many farms also have farm shops, stocking the most delicious home grown delicacies that Scotland can offer. For a comprehensive list, click here, but if you’re in St Andrews and looking for the local farm shop, I can assure you it doesn’t get any better than Balgove Larder.

43. Skirlie

scotland

Photo courtesy of @scotslarder on Instagram

Don’t get this confused with scurvy. I might have.

But this Scottish porridge is actually a savory porridge that is eaten with oats and onions in beef dripping. Kind of like stir fry, Scottish style. It’s actually quite good and easily made, and you can even check out a recipe here.

44. Mac and cheese pie

scotland

Photo courtesy of @twelvetriangles on Instagram

Say whaaaaaaaat? Yeah, those came from NORTH of the English border. #Shade.

45. Also, Scotland just keeps consuming more and more alcohol, year after year.

scotland

Photo courtesy of Lightbox Creative St Andrews

Remember when I said you can’t out drink a Scot? Here’s proof.

46. Burns Night is just another Thanksgiving to celebrate

scotland

Photo courtesy of @tescofood on Instagram

It’s like having your favorite top go 2 for 1 sale. For all the Americans out there, beware that they’ll try to serve you haggis on Burns Night. But still, it’s like having a second Thanksgiving, and the haggis is totally avoidable. Just stick to the mashed potatoes and you’re solid.

47. Oatcakes

scotland

Photo courtesy of @whatiateforbreaky on Instagram

You can’t complete your ultimate cheeseboard without ’em. Alternatively, I’ve discovered they’re wonderful hangover cures.

48. The Great British Toastie

scotland

Photo courtesy of @agnes.the.foodie on Instagram

They’re not just limited to Scotland, but rather the entirety of the British Isles, but I love them so much I couldn’t help but include them. Srsly, I’m obsessed.

49. And you can play this “how many have you tried?” challenge for Scottish food, and who doesn’t want to do that?

scotland

Photo courtesy of @katequilton on Instagram

For you here.

50. The bridie

scotland

Photo courtesy of tartantasteintx.com

I like to call it the Scottish apple turnover of meat, but I’ve gotten hate for it.

51. And scotch pancakes

scotland

Photo courtesy of @myredwellies on Instagram

So good. But unfortunately, scotch not included.

52. The Scottish food blog industry is alive and well

scotland

Photo courtesy of @iamthatlazy on Instagram

Blog your little hearts out.

53. And this legendary quote

scotland

Photo courtesy of vistaprintcoupons.ca

Probably.

54. Tipsy Laird

scotland

Photo courtesy of @crazy_for_uk on Instagram

No, not a drunk Scottish aristocrat (although God knows that St Andrews has plenty of those). It’s actually a seriously delicious dessert typically served during Burns Night supper as dessert. It’s made with Scottish whisky and raspberries… Yum.

55. We have more scone flavors than you

scotland

Photo courtesy of @gorgeouscafe on Instagram

TRUE.

56. Filo pastries

scotland

Photo courtesy of @lsperdigo on Instagram

They were great creations until somebody decided to put goat cheese on them and bring them to St Andrews halls dinners. Then they got butchered.

57. Gingerbread men

scotland

Photo courtesy of @stasyyyyyy on Instagram

Yes, they originate from Scotland. Betcha didn’t know that!

58. Scotch Wehay!

scotland

Photo courtesy of tastecocktails.com

A delicious liquor made from whiskey. Probably something you haven’t been able to afford on a student budget… Probably.

59. You can also live out your Man v. Food dreams here

scotland

Photo courtesy of goosereport.com

Scotland isn’t very big, so there’s a good chance you’ll get the opportunity to try all these crazy food challenges.

60. Munchy box

scotland

Photo courtesy of @holl_g1 on Instagram

Native to Glasgow, the munchy box is a genius Scottish creation that is a fusion of all the world’s most ultimate drunk foods. Often containing pizza, french fries, fried chicken, pakoras, garlic sauce, salad, and doner kebab, it’s estimated to contain more than 3000 calories. Mind blown.

61. Cider

scotland

Photo courtesy of Thistly Cross Cider on Facebook

It just tastes better over the border… Trust me, try Thistly Cross, which is locally produced here in Scotland.

62. Also, fun fact: drunk driving is at an all time low!

scotland

Photo courtesy of Police Scotland on Facebook

According to this article… Which is a good thing, because now you can leave the club and not be afraid of getting run over by your fellow club patrons.

63. PS, for all the Americans wondering, our drinking age is 18

scotland

Photo courtesy of yupee.com

Sooooo much better than 21. And if you’re 16, you can legally drink cider, beer, and wine as long as you’re also ordering food.

64. Also a bar at Scotland does this:

scotland

Photo courtesy of buzzfeed.com

Savage.

65. Deep fried butter balls coated in Irn Bru

scotland

Photo courtesy of dailymail.co.uk

Move aside, American country fairs. There’s a new country in town.

66. Scottish sausage rolls

scotland

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Just like Mom’s… If your mom knew how to make Scottish foods.

67. Moray Cup

scotland

Photo courtesy of @alandburra on Instagram

Who even knows what goes on the Highlands? They probably play the bagpipes a lot, plot the downfall of England, and drink Moray Cup. Idk mate. I’m just running out of stuff to add.

68. Haggis pakora

scotland

Photo courtesy of @idamage1979 on Instagram

I mean like WTF. Much respect for those who dare to eat it.

69. Wow

scotland

I’m just surprised to have made it this far. I could make some jokes now but I won’t. Also, can I just take a moment to say #Hillary2016? Because a Trump presidency is just too frightening to contemplate.

70. But seriously… Scottish crofting is very cool

scotland

Photo courtesy of @kiwibirdsweeepics on Instagram

The Scottish Crofting Federation is committed to protecting small scale farming, which isn’t something that can be said for the US. #Monsanto, am I right ladies?

71. And the Isle of Skye is leading worldwide innovation in salt creating technique

scotland

Photo courtesy of Isle of Skye Sea Salt Company on Facebook

A combination of poly tunnels and humidity control have enabled the Isle of Skye Salt Company to be the world’s first creator of salt completely from seawater – meaning no artificial power is used to create it. Which is a really good thing for Mother Nature.

73. More Scotch whisky is sold in a month in France than cognac in a year

scotland

Photo courtesy of @thedalmore on Instagram

Let that digest for a bit.

74. Scotland boasts an incredible amount of the world’s top chefs

scotland

Photo courtesy of Gordon Ramsay on Facebook

According to Forbes, and we know that’s LEGIT.

75. Take some time and go on these food trails

scotland

Photo courtesy of mckinlaykidd.com

The 21st century pilgrimage. So necessary.

76. Even Scotland’s most Northerly restaurant has won a food award

scotland

Photo courtesy of captainsgalley.co.uk

5 star dining inside the Arctic Circle.

77. 1 in 3 Americans believe that haggis is a real animal

scotland

Photo courtesy of theboutiquelife.com

It might be.

78. Basically, Scottish food is better than you’d expect

scotland

Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. *Drops mic.*