Guinness and I have been together a long time. When I first started drinking beer, Guinness was a familiar flavour, with chocolate and coffee aromas rising through the maltiness. When I’ve been sad, Guinness was there to cheer me up. When I was joyous, Guinness was there to make my celebration complete. Guinness and I had a lot of fun along the way, and if you’re anything like me, you consider Guinness a damn good beer and a damn good friend.

But I think it’s time we and Guinness became more than just friends.

1. Guinness Milkshake

relationship

Photo courtey of Everett Putnam-Mackey

Guinness floats and Guinness milkshakes are a great way to add sweetness and richness to an already decadent drink. You can add whatever flavours you like, though I personally would recommend chocolate, coffee, vanilla, or pumpkin spice, which all blend very well with the legendary beer.

2. Mulled Guinness

relationship

Photo by Anthony Nomakeo

Guinness is one of the best-known stouts in the world. Its dry, malty flavour has hints of chocolate and coffee and molasses. This mulled beer recipe dating back to the 1700s only serves to intensify those flavours, with rum and molasses adding sweetness and richness and egg making the whole concoction thick and decadent. Feel free to explore with spiced rum, or mull in some spices, whatever you like! Guinness will make it happen.

3. Chocolate Chip Guinness Bread

relationship

Photo by Maggie Gorman

This is a yummy bread that people can make in under an hour anywhere with even the most basic oven. You can technically use any beer, but with chocolate and oats? The recipe practically cries out for Arthur Guinness’ magnum opus. It’s also one of the most decadent breads you will ever eat, especially when you have it nice and hot from the oven, with just a little bit of butter.

4. Guinness Mac and Cheese

relationship

Photo by Alex Vu

Rich, melty cheese. Soft, tender macaroni. Delicious, savoury Kielbasa. Malty, complex Guinness. If that description isn’t enough to make your mouth water, I don’t know what is.

5. Guinness Marinade

relationship

Photo by Katherine Richter

Lest we forget that Guinness also brings out the flavour of savouries, this marinade can be used to marinate any of your meats or meat alternatives (Grilled barley tempeh? I’d be down).

6. Guinness Pancakes

relationship

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Chocolate and Guinness go hand-in-hand, and these chocolate Guinness pancakes are a delicious (and surprisingly healthy) way to start off your morning. If you don’t want to use a pancake mix, feel free to use your favourite pancake recipe, swapping any liquid for glorious, glorious Guinness.

7. Irish Car Bomb Bread Pudding

relationship

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Now, if you’re anything like me, you need no further explanation than the title. Guinness bread meets Bailey’s custard for a rich, chocolatey bread pudding unlike anything you’ve ever tasted. It’s even better with the chocolate chip Guinness bread above.

So, without further ado, happy St. Patrick’s Day! Be sure to raise a pint for the black brew we all love so well. Sláinte, everyone!