As college students, we are always craving more sleep. When it comes to studying and partying, sleep rarely takes priority. While we try to maximize our time spent sleeping and refueling our bodies, we should take notes of the things we are eating. These tips will help you plan your diet to make the most of your sleep.

1. Eating spicy or heavy food before you go to sleep will increase your chance of having nightmares.

sleep

Maybe skip the hot sauce (or at least the spicier ones) and potatoes au gratin before bed.

2. When you want to take a nap after lunch, it’s not because you’re full, it’s because of circadian rhythms

sleep

Photo courtesy of the-elbowroom.com

Circadian rhythms are physical, mental and behavioral changes that follow an approximately 24-hour cycle. In addition to sleep, they also help regulate our eating patterns.

3. Cherries contain melatonin, the chemical that helps control our body’s internal clock.

sleep

Photo by Hana Ezaldein

Melatonin is the hormone that anticipates darkness each day. Snack on some cherries and welcome to the dark side.

4. Fish contains vitamin B6, which your body needs to make melatonin.

sleep

Photo courtesy of aquabounty.com

Sunflower seeds, pistachios and salmon are some B6-heavy foods you can add to your diet.

5. Alcohol is awful for sleep

sleep

Photo by Jenna Johnson

You might already know this one from experience, but it’s because alcohol metabolizes quickly, causing you to wake up several times throughout the night.

6. Sleep deprivation results in the body’s decreased production of insulin

sleep

Photo by Sydney Segal

Have a carb-rich snack (yes, carbs can be good for you) an hour before clocking those 8 hours to stimulate the release of insulin.

7. Three types of tea that will help you sleep are camomile, valerian, and lavender.

sleep

Photo by Jessica Payne

Drink up and dream on. Happy sleeping!