At most colleges today, the main mode of transportation is by foot. Gone are the days of driving to high school, soccer practice, swim meets, or work, and some days, we miss aspects of our daily commute.

We miss jam sessions, the cathartic feeling of pushing the speed limit, and spending time with friends while carpooling — but we definitely don’t miss all the struggles of eating in the car. While it seems appealing at the time to take meals on-the-go, we’ve all experienced these #foodfails that come with our daily drives.

1. When you spill your coffee/tea

Eating in the Car

Photo courtesy of hirerush.com

We’ve all been there: One minute we’re enjoying our hot beverage, and the next, we’re wearing it. Whether you’re the driver or the passenger, we’re all subject to sudden stops and bumps in the road. But despite the scalding coffee burns, we continue to take our espresso to-go because — let’s be honest — nothing’s stronger than our caffeine addiction.

2. When you get crumbs everywhere

Eating in the Car

Photo courtesy of wsj.com

Bagels, cereals, muffins, you name it — these foods leave pesky crumbs everywhere. You know you cringed when you sat down and heard crunching underneath. *passive-aggressively sighs* 

3. When you struggle with food placement

Eating in the Car

Photo courtesy of nationalgeographic.com

There’s nothing worse than putting your english muffin or sandwich on the dash and having it slide around while you’re driving. There is only so much space in your car, so being inventive with food placement is a skill that must be learned. Your lap is generally a safe bet, as long as you don’t mind getting food stains.

4. When you have to drive with other body parts

Eating in the Car

Photo courtesy of wordpress.com

Sometimes, you need both hands to eat. In that case, we have to get creative when multitasking. Driving with your elbows and knees were options for those days you decided to bring a bowl of cereal into the car. This is incredibly unsafe, but hey, you made it to school in one piece, right?

5. When you don’t get to see what every bite looks like

Eating in the Car

Photo courtesy of @tryitordiet on Instagram

“Eyes on the road” is what we’ve always been told. But that’s hard when our food is so Instagram-worthy. You also can’t gauge how many bites it takes to finish your food, which leaves you completely unprepared for that sad, last bite. Also, how will anyone know that you got that rainbow-colored bagel if you didn’t take pics?

6. When your car gets filled up with trash

Eating in the Car

Photo courtesy of blog.instamotor.com

There’s always that one friend who leaves food remnants, used utensils, or even soda stains in the seat. Maybe you’re that friend. Either way, your car starts to look like Garbage Island, which leads to #7 on this list. 

7. When your car starts to smell like food

Eating in the Car

Photo courtesy of prbuzz.com

Food generally smells good — except when it’s been sitting in your car for the past month. That coffee, grease, or marinara stain has been festering — yes, festering — for 30 days and now it doesn’t smell so good. When your car smells like moldy McDonald’s, you know it’s time for a change. You’ll thank yourself later. And so will your passengers.

Food and driving may not be the best pairing, but for a lot of college students, that life is behind us (for now, at least). We can rest easier knowing that our roads are a little bit safer now that we and our breakfasts are not on them.