Our food choices are often unable to supply us with everything we need to hit our daily nutritional mark. Scrounging for healthful foods in the dining hall or trying to plan and cook meals that fulfill every nutritional category can be tricky, and so our bodies may not always feel as great as we’d like them to. Since coming to college, I’ve been taking supplements to make sure I’m giving my body everything it needs to run smoothly. If you’re looking to treat your body to some extra lovin’, here are some great supplements to try.

1. Fish Oil

Fish oil supplements contain Omega-3 fatty acids, which may reduce risk of heart disease. It’s also a great way to curb cravings and improve your mood. Take with food, and store in the fridge.

Photo by Grégoire Durand

2. Vitamin C

It’s winter, and that means everyone is sick. All — the — time. Taking a vitamin C supplement is a great way to protect myself from catching something. Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin, meaning your body will flush out any excess. So, it doesn’t matter how much you take. Go crazy!

Photo by Grégoire Durand

3. Biotin

Biotin is a great way to strengthen your hair, skin and nails. It also regulates carbohydrate, fat and protein metabolism – who doesn’t want that?! Take with food.

Photo by Grégoire Durand

4. Calcium

Although calcium is important for everyone, this one’s especially key for the ladies. Brittle bones can be a serious problem for older women. In order to triple check that you’re getting enough calcium every day, pop a calcium supplement. On top of that, try to incorporate weight training into your workout, a training method that strengthens your bones. Plus, the chewable form makes taking a supplement a lot more fun.

Photo by Grégoire Durand

5. Multivitamin

This hits all the major vitamins you may be missing in your diet: A, C, D, E, B-6, B-12. Again, the gummies are more fun than a giant pill, and they make me feel like a kid again.

Photo by Grégoire Durand

6. Fiber

Fiber greatly improves digestive health and hunger levels, and it can also lower bad cholesterol.

Photo by Grégoire Durand

7. Oregano Oil

This herbal supplement is anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-parasitic, anti-fungal and anti-viral. I’ve never taken it, but I’m considering it after contracting a sore throat (one I’ve been battling for far too long this quarter) and hearing positive feedback from several people who swear by its magic.

Supplements

Photo courtesy of thelondoner.me