We’ve all been through it: downing gallons of coffee hoping that it’ll give us the energy boost we need after studying all night. It works great to start, but inevitably leads to a crash just six hours after our first morning class. Hey, I love coffee as much as the next guy, but let’s face it, there’s got to be a better way.

Instead of cup after cup of coffee, start your day off with some energy boosters—superfoods that will keep you energized and focused all day with no crash later. Superfoods are so much more than the trendy new seaweed or spirulina you find in the health food store (although they’re magical in their own right).

Superfoods are all around us, and while donuts and coffee are great, check out these 7 superfoods below that are even better.

1. Blueberries

superfoods

Photo by Hannah Lin

Commercials and health food experts seem to promote blueberries and their antioxidants all the time, and they really are that awesome. Since they are low-glycemic, they affect your blood sugar less than other fruits, keeping you feeling awake without crashing later.

Because everyone knows that the best way to have blueberries in the morning is via pancakes, check out these blueberry pancakes that’ll keep you going all day.

2. Greek Yogurt

superfoods

Photo by Justin Schuble

Most of the yogurts you see at the store are full of insane amounts of sugar or some sickening sugar alternative. Instead, try Greek yogurt: it’s full of protein and is deliciously tangy. Look for 0% fat varieties for the lowest calories and the highest amounts of protein.

Try it with fruit or granola for some more variety. If you’re still not convinced about the superiority of Greek yogurt, check out this side-by-side comparison.

3. Peanut Butter

superfoods

Photo by Shen Swartout

Who doesn’t love a yummy PB&J? The healthy fats in peanut butter will not only help jump start your day but will also jump start your digestive system. Make a PB&J that’s especially healthy by using whole wheat bread, and sugar free, natural peanut butter. For an even healthier alternative, try out almond butter. Your stomach, your body, and your taste buds will thank you.

4. Eggs

superfoods

Photo by Shen Swartout

Start your day with a healthy dose of protein. Contrary to popular belief, egg yolks have been proven to reduce bad cholesterol in the long run. Egg yolk is actually rich in B vitamins, which is an awesome energy booster. One whole egg is only about 75 calories, so eat a few to fill yourself up.

Not having time in the morning is not an excuse anymore, because all you need is a microwave and a couple of minutes for this microwaveable egg scramble.

5. Oranges

superfoods

Photo by Sandy Huang

Drop the orange juice and eat an actual orange instead (and peel it like a boss with these instructions). You’ll fill yourself up with soluble and insoluble fiber (they’re good friends for your digestion), and you’ll save yourself from the evils of the added sugar that many juice brands use. Of course, oranges are also packed with vitamin C, which will strengthen your immune system and make you ready to take on the day.

6. Oatmeal

superfoods

Photo by Pheobe Melnick

Oatmeal is both filling and energizing. You’ll feel full and energized for hours as the carbs in the oatmeal are broken down slowly by the body. Also, it’s packed with soluble fiber which keeps you full longer and improves your digestive system. Think oatmeal is boring? Here are 5 ways to amp it up.

7. Quinoa

superfoods

Photo by Shen Swartout

It’s the pseudograin that we all know and love, or at least have a vague recollection of hearing about from some health-conscious hipster. Actually a seed, quinoa is full of protein and has a lower carbohydrate count than most grains. Quinoa can be cooked like oatmeal with cinnamon, fruit, or both, like in this recipe, for a hearty breakfast that will keep you full of energy all day long.

Looking for more articles on superfoods? Check these out: