We've all been here before—deep in our history notes, or finishing up an extensive math problem, or onto question 11 of HQ on a Sunday night, and our concentration has been grabbed away by a growling stomach. It's the worst! I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that I love food more than anything, and use food to motivate my studying. I tell myself if I finish the math problem I can have a chip...but then I end up eating 5 chips in the middle of the problem.

Bribing yourself with food in order to study isn't necessarily a bad idea, as long as it's at least somewhat sustainable and nutritious. Here are some snacks that will satisfy your hunger and get you an A on your assignment.

H2O

water, beer, iced water, ice, glass, water cup

There's nothing like a glass of cold water to get your thoughts flowing. If you're getting tired or starting to lose focus, drink some water, splash some on your face, and then sit back down and get to work. The simplest thing makes the biggest difference.

Peanuts

nut, cashew, cereal, peanut
Kristine Mahan

Obviously, I would not recommend this to anybody with severe nut allergies (so everybody in that category might want to look for an alternative), but to everybody else: snack on peanuts while you work. Peanuts are filled with vitamins and especially high in Vitamin B3, which help with your concentration. A handful of peanuts can go a long way.

Cheese

cheese, waffle, bread
Alex Frank

It doesn't matter what kind, cheese is always a good idea. Always. And especially while studying. Cheese is high in B12, a vitamin that helps you retain information in your memory. #cheeseplease

Bread

pastry, sweet, bread, Soft, cutting, bread knife, knife, baguette, French
Caroline Ingalls

As surprising as it may seem, I'm sure a lot of people will be happy to know that bread helps you focus. This delicious, fluffy carb-filled necessity is filled with folic acid, which helps clear your brain. Now you don't have to feel so guilty eating half a baguette while flipping through your notes...oh wait, am I the only one who does that?

Blueberries

berry, pasture, blueberry, sweet, bilberry, blackberry

Blueberries are high in antioxidants which help blood flow to the brain and help you think more quickly and clearly; It's the perfect snack for all of you HQties. Blueberries are super easy to pop in your mouth and pretty mess-free. #newbluesnack

Avocados

avocado, vegetable, sweet
Robert Johnson

No matter what form you eat them in; on toast, in guacamole, or just with a spoon (trust me, I've seen it done), avocados are ALWAYS a good idea. I'm not just saying this because they are among my favorite foods, but avocados fire up brain cells and are loaded with fiber, so they keep you focused and keep you from needing another snack every few math questions you answer.

Dark Chocolate

sweet, candy, chocolate, chips, chocolate chips, cocoa
Caroline Ingalls

Though not for everyone, dark chocolate is amazing for your physical and mental health. With just the tiniest bit of caffeine, dark chocolate keeps you alert and it is filled with magnesium that helps you de-stress. It also releases endorphins that make you feel better. Seriously, why wouldn't you want dark chocolate as you're writing that essay or picking your HQ answers?

When we're stuck at a desk studying for hours, or even for ten seconds trying to get through the third question on HQ, we all need a little something to snack on. Waste no more precious study hours and HQ seconds (let's be real HQ seconds ≠ real seconds) ravaging the cabinets for a snack. I think something up there will hit the spot for you and your focus. Happy studying!