One cold, winter morning during my first semester of college, I decided to drag myself to the dining hall. For some reason, I was just really craving strawberries. Luckily, the fruit bar had a nice selection of bright, red strawberries. The minute I dug into what I thought was a nice-looking piece of fruit, disappointment overcame me. It was disgustingly sour.

Well, I’m here to say that you’ll never have to eat tart fruit again. How? By eating seasonal foods. In-season products add great variety and flavor to your diet without breaking your wallet. Check out this list of springtime foods to help you make delicious meals and save money while you’re at it.

1. Artichoke

seasonal

Photo by Treasa Ewing

Artichokes are high in antioxidants and boost your immune system. The pulp of each artichoke leaf contains substances that increase bile flow and lower cholesterol. Artichokes promote liver health and digestion as they are saturated with magnesium, potassium and vitamin C.

2. Asparagus

seasonal

Photo by Erin Young

Asparagus are high in antioxidants and good for the heart. They’re said to aid digestion and act as a natural laxative. Asparagus is also an anti-inflammatory and helps relieve pain. In addition, asparagus is a good source of fiber, vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin C, vitamin K, magnesium and iron.

3. Mushroom

seasonal

Photo courtesy of rachelchew

Mushrooms help support the immune system’s functions and promote cardiovascular health. They also contain anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits. Mushrooms are high in protein, vitamin B and healthy minerals such as selenium, copper and potassium.

4. Spinach

seasonal

Photo courtesy of Artizone

Spinach is high in fiber which helps in the aiding of digestion. It’s an antioxidant and contains anti-inflammatory benefits. Spinach helps lower blood pressure, strengthens your immune system, promotes healthy skin and burns fat. Spinach contains many vitamins and minerals, some of which are vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin E, magnesium, manganese, iron, calcium, zinc and omega-3 fatty acids.

5. Grapefruit

seasonal

Photo courtesy of Haz

Grapefruits prevent excessive acidity in your body, help get rid of excess flatulence, suppress appetite and aid digestion. They are also known to help burn fat. Grapefruits are comprised of vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin B6, potassium, calcium, magnesium and copper.

6. Lemon

seasonal

Photo courtesy of chiotsrun

Lemons help control blood pressure and provide relief from colds and fevers. They alleviate respiratory and breathing problems, help induce weight loss and aid digestion. Lemons contain vitamin C, riboflavin, copper, calcium, iron, potassium and magnesium.

7. Strawberry

seasonal

Photo by Abby Lanes

Strawberries lower the amount of bad cholesterol, thus reducing the risk of heart disease. They also have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. Strawberries are full of vitamin C, manganese, fiber, iodine, potassium and magnesium.

Not sure what to make with these ingredients? Check out these articles: