Coming from a Russian family always leaves me open to many questions about my culture including "What is your traditional food like?'' Although many people readily assume that Russians drink vodka with every meal, I can proudly say that we do have quite exquisitely comforting food. 

Actually, Russians always cook more food that anyone can ever eat, especially when they're welcoming some friends over. A typical Russian meal leaves you very satisfied, drunk, and often unable to move. 

Before sitting down and getting ridiculously drunk of course, Russians proceed into speeches that may take hours and hours. Only the laziest of Russians would dare to say 'Cheers' (Na zdarovye). Seriously, whenever you find yourself at a traditional Russian dinner, be ready to hear some lengthy and intriguing life stories, witty anecdotes, and even some personal poems. 

Before attending your first Russian feast—if it's not on your bucket list, add it now—you'll want to sharpen up your knowledge if you thought Russian food was all about vodka and caviar. Check out these seven delicious foods near and dear to Russian hearts. 

1. Syrniki (сырники)

These cottage cheese pancakes hold a special place in every Russian's heart. They are usually made with tvorog, a type of fresh dairy product translated as quark. 

2. Borscht (борщ)

Borscht is popular in many Eastern European countries, and each country has its own twist on the recipe. You would definitely love it if you are a fan of beets

3. Golubtsy (голубцы)

These stuffed cabbage rolls are a mixture of minced beef and rice that is often served with a generous portion of sour cream. It's one of those dishes that you either hate or love. 

4. Selyodka Pod Shuboy (Селедка под шубой) 

The literal translation of this recipe is 'Herring under fur coat.' This is a food art piece where you can find salted herring covered with layers of grated vegetables (potatoes, carrots, beet roots), eggs, and chopped onions. However, this is not your 'light' salad, as the main bonding ingredient is mayonnaise.

5. Blini (блины)

These crepe-like pancakes are usually made with kefir, a dairy drink that has the consistency between milk and yogurt. A Russian favourite is to top blinis with caviar and sour cream, which makes for very royal breakfast fare.

6. Pelmeni (пельмени)

These dumplings are made from thin, unleavened dough and filled with minced meat, onions, mushrooms, and sometimes, turnip. Traditionally, making pelmeni is a social affair, so it's never prepared alone. They are generally made in excess and frozen later to last through a long Russian winter.

7. Piroshki (пирожки)

These are small hand pies that come with lots of different fillings such as cabbage, eggs, potato, cheese, and some sweet fillings, such as apples and quark. 

Now that you've gotten some insight on Russian food, don't be afraid to experiment with it. Whether that's preparing it as a comfort meal during the winter seasons, or using it as your pre-going out dinner. Even post-drunk munchies for that matter. Clearly, Russian food can be something for all, and there's also no shame in accompanying it with a drink.