Heading back to Happy Valley this time of year can make you feel a little green. Not because of how many 8am's are on your schedule or because you ate way too many christmas cookies, but green with envy of your friends flying across the world for a semester abroad. 

An Instagram feed full of Greece's beaches and New Zealand's zip lines makes the State College winter feel just a little bit colder. Check out these local eateries to cure your semester abroad FOMO:

1. Herwig's Austrian Bistro

Herwig's is a unique dining experience in a homestyle, family focused atmosphere. The ever-changing menu offers a variety of traditional Austrian foods, but to know what they're serving up on any given day you have to call or stop by to check it out! 

If Austrian food is out of your comfort zone, no worries because you can't go wrong at a joint who's slogan is, "Where bacon is an herb!".

2. India Pavillion

India Pavillion's cuisine is the perfect way to get all the exotic flavors of North India without leaving State College. They feature both vegetarian and non-vegetarian choices as well as offering you the opportunity to choose your spiciness. Stop by India Pavillion for a taste of the Middle East in the States.

3. Pita Cabana

Pita Cabana is a Chipotle styled Mediterranean Grill squeezed into Calder Alley. They have options on options and dish up a modern twist on classic Mediterranean meals. Swing through to bite into the abroad experience of your dreams.

4. Big Bowl Noodle House

Big Bowl is definitely more bang for your buck than any other place around. Save the airfare on a trip to China or Thailand and head to College Ave. for fresh ingredients and a full stomach. Try the signature Pad Thai filled with the flavors of lemon and herbs with rice noodles, basil, eggs, sprouts and peanuts.

Forget the Great Wall, descend down the steps to Big Bowl instead!

5. Mario's Italian Resturant

Mario's is a little drive off of campus, but so worth it. They pride themselves on authentic Italian cuisine and serve up dishes such as handmade pasta and wood grilled chicken. The rustic decor will make you feel like you're in Italy while you wine and dine. 

6. The Greek

The Greek is also slight ride away from downtown State College. Owner of the beloved Waffle Shop, John Dimakopoulos, brought his traditional Greek cuisine to The Greek. The variety of fresh vegetables and succulent kabobs guarantees a dining experience fit for the gods.

7. Rey Azteca

At Rey Azteca is a family business filled with a passion and love for Mexican culture. They believe one of the most precious joys of life is to share a meal with friends and family. The authentic cuisine and welcoming atmosphere make it worth the trip off campus.

Although going abroad seems to trump the winter in State College, remember it is called Happy Valley for a reason. Make the most of your semester in the snow by branching out and trying these exotic eateries.