Studies have shown that simple sugar can have terrible side effects including weight gain, heart disease, bad skin, diabetes, and even cancer.  Evidently, we humans don't want any of these bodily occurrences to happen, and therefore, we're always searching for the best ways to taste the sweetness of simple sugar without experiencing its negative side effects. From Sweet n' Low to Splenda, Agave, Coconut Sugar, and Stevia, there are many sugar alternatives in this day and age. One, however, that we must never forget, is monk fruit, since monk fruit just might be the best of them all. 

1. Monk Fruit Is A QUADRUPLE Zero Fruit 

Monk fruit has ZERO calories, ZERO carbohydrates, a glycemic index of ZERO, and ZERO sugar. Yup, it's literally nothin' but tastes like something... how cool. 

2. It Doesn't Cause A Spike In  Blood Sugar

Glycemic index is a value assigned to foods based on how slowly or how quickly those foods cause increases in blood sugar levels. High blood sugar can lead to blindness, kidney failure, or increase cardiovascular risk. Monk fruit has a glycemic index of 0, making it a very healthy choice. For a comparison, glucose (simple sugar) has a whopping glycemic index of 103

3. Monk Fruit Is Available In Multiple Forms 

Monk fruit can be transformed into granules, powders, and liquids. In fact, a monk fruit company, Lakanto, has taken advantage of this ability by creating caramel sauce, chocolate syrup, and maple syrup all sweetened by monk fruit. 

4. Studies Suggest It May Contain Antioxidants 

Studies on animals have suggested that the mogrosides (what make monk fruit so sweet) extracted from the monk fruit plant boast antioxidant properties. 

5. It Has No Harmful Side Effects According To The FDA

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) considers monk fruit to be safe, for there has been no evidence of harmful side effects from eating the plant. 

6. It Doesn't Cause The Same Gastrointestinal Side Effects As Other Sugar Alternatives

Unlike monk fruit, Stevia and other artificial sweeteners like Sweet n' Low can cause gastrointestinal side effects in some people, including gas, nausea, and bloating. 

7. Monk Fruit Is Less Prone to Causing Allergic Reactions

Unlike monk fruit, Stevia is part of the Asteraceae plant family, which includes daisies, sunflowers, and chrysanthemums. Anyone with allergies to these plants or others in the family should avoid Stevia products.

Obviously, the monk fruit benefits far outweigh both simple sugar and both natural and artificial sugar alternatives. So, what are you waiting for? Make the switch to monk fruit ASAP.