Moving to an off-campus house is exciting and terrifying at the same time. From the cooking, to the cleaning, to the maintenance and everything in-between. I found myself wasting a ton of food at first because I had no idea how much to buy and how quickly things go bad. After a few weeks I learned the value of frozen vegetables and especially frozen spinach. This high nutrient-dense food has become the biggest life-saver of the semester. Here are a few reasons why I firmly believe that frozen spinach is the best food ever:

1. You can add it to any food to make your meal healthier

dairy product
Jacqueline Paez

Frozen Spinach can add a boost of veggies to even the most unhealthy meals. Whether you are making Pasta, Pizza, scrambled eggs, a cheese dip or anything else, adding some spinach can at least make you think you are eating a healthier meal. 

2. It comes in handy when you need greens for pesto, or a smoothie

vegetable, herb
Parisa Soraya

If you are low on fresh greens to make a smoothie or are craving a pesto concoction of some sort, just throw some frozen spinach in your blender with whatever else you have and there you go. You'll instantly take a regular old dish to the next level. 

3. Spinach has a ton of health benefits

Spinach is one of the most important super foods for a reason. It is packed with Iron, Vitamin K, calcium and lots of other nutrients that are vital to our bodies.

4. Frozen spinach can last months in the freezer

cake, coffee, tea, beer
Smita Jain

Frozen foods last for a very long time. Whenever you are in a crisis and don't have any fresh spinach around it is always valuable to have some frozen veggies available to give your meals a health boost.

5. Frozen Spinach is Healthier than Fresh Spinach

Fresh spinach loses some of its vitamins and folate  over time which is why if you don't eat it immediately it isn't as good for you. Frozen spinach keeps the nutrients packed inside when it is frozen thus another reason to always keep it on hand.

6. It's economical

american dollars, currency, money, dollars, cash, coins, chocolate
Anna Arteaga

Frozen spinach is almost always cheaper than fresh spinach and its more tightly packed with spinach so you get more of it for a cheaper price too. One box of frozen spinach can amount to three bunches of fresh spinach

7. Popeye Reaches for a CAN of Spinach, not a bag of Spinach  

PR from Popeye's love for frozen spinach increased U.S. spinach consumption by one-third during the 1930s and the great depression. 

A lot of the same benefits of frozen spinach are true of all frozen veggies. They are perfect for people who have busy schedules and reduce food waste that happens when fresh produce is bought and not used. Next time you're at the grocery store, be sure to head over to the frozen foods aisle and grab yourself a bag of frozen spinach—you won't regret it.