The Max Cafe, located in good ole Piano Row, becomes a staple in the diet of many a Piano Row resident, for bad or for worse.

At first arrival, through the brand new eyes of freshman, it seems like convenience personified. Not having to leave your dorm to get food? Sweet!

After a few trips, say 2 months worth, you start to see the shadows in your once sunny food paradise. Here’s just a few reasons why:

1. The Food is Extremely Greasy.

The Max

Photo by Alyssa Perkins

The most obvious downside to the Max may present itself upon your first visit. Fries? Greasy. Chicken fingers? Greasy. Pasta with pesto? Disturbingly, inedibly greasy.

2. There Have Been a Few Pest Problems This Year.

The Max

Besides the rat found running around the Max, there was also a bug found in the salads they package. I feel sick just typing this.

3. The Food is Bland.

The Max

Photo by Alyssa Perkins

Almost everything; the fries, the taco salad ingredients, the pasta; has almost no taste to it. Nothing is seasoned. It gets repetitive after awhile, which leads me to…

4. The Limited Options.

The Max

Photo by Alyssa Perkins

New freshmen, trust me, the food gets old after eating it for lunch and/or dinner every day for 2 months since you didn’t want to walk all the way to the DH in LB. The food never changes, so you end up sustaining yourself on a diet of chicken fingers and fries (a good way to earn the Freshman 15).

5. Questionable Quality.

The Max

I don’t know about the quality of the food, all I know is my one suite mate got sick after eating at the Max three separate times. Sodexo is widely known for it’s terrible food, which doesn’t help either. Just a little cause for concern.

6. You Live in Boston.

The Max

Photo courtesy of @Rene Schwietzke on flickr.com

Go out and explore damn it. I know, you can’t afford to eat out often as a poor college kid, but both Griddlers and City Place take ECCash. Plus, you can probably spend some money on at least one night out (looking for ideas where? Look no further).

But, we all know the Max is the only place open for us to buy food past 10 pm, so I’ll see you guys there.