We all know that The Office‘s beloved Dwight Schrute has a celebrated love affair with beets. In almost every moment of the show, Dwight is eccentric and quirky — especially when it comes to his line of work on Schrute Farms. Most viewers would say he takes his beet infatuation too far. However, after a little research, it seems that his adoration is (almost) completely justifiable. Here are a few possible explanations for why Dwight has an overwhelming obsession with beets.

Most viewers would say he takes his beet infatuation too far. However, after a little research, it seems that his adoration is (almost) completely justifiable. Here are a few possible explanations for why Dwight has an overwhelming obsession with beets.

1. Pumps You Up for a Workout

beets

Photo courtesy of Netflix.com

Why buy an expensive energy bar when you could just munch on a nice tasty beet? By consuming beets, you are intaking natural nitrates. These nitrates help blood flow and, overall, regulate oxygen and increase stamina — getting you ready to dominate at Dwight Schrute’s Gym for Muscles.

2. Fights Chronic Illnesses and Diseases

beets

Photo by Margaret Weinberg

It should be pretty obvious that beets are healthy and rich with vitamins.  According to Livestrong.com, beets are an excellent source of manganese, potassium, beta-carotene, and iron. The manganese and beta-carotene provide antioxidants which fight off free radicals, contributors to developing chronic diseases. Similarly, the intake of potassium and iron help in the production and functioning of cells, reducing the chance of chronic illness and disease.

3. Great Natural Dye

GIF courtesy of Wifflegif.com

Not only are they beneficial to eat, but they also make a great natural chemical-free dye. Through a simple search on Google, you can find ways that people use beets to dye clothesEaster eggs, and even their hair. Perhaps, Dwight used this hair dying technique in creating his Meredith disguise.

4. Helps You Poop

beets

Photo courtesy of Food52.com

It’s true. Beets are known for helping with constipation. High in fiber, this natural probiotic can help regulate your trips to the restroom.

5. Gets Ya’ Frisky

GIF courtesy of Wifflegif.com

Yep, beets are sexy. Cooked beets act as an aphrodisiac when eaten due to the high levels of manganese and boron it delivers to your body. These added substances produce sex hormones, therefore getting you in the mood. This may explain why Dwight used such suggestive lines on Angela.

6. Combats Dandruff

beets

Photo courtesy of backtoherroots.com

Surprisingly, beets have historically been used as a natural remedy to combat and prevent dandruff. So, if you’ve been facing this pesky problem, boil up some beets and rub the resulting mixture into your scalp.

#SpoonTip: Make sure to get the correct color of beet. If you sport a blond head of hair and use the traditional red beet, you may end up with a crimson-tinted (albeit moisturized) scalp. 

7. Reduces Birth Defects

beets

Photo courtesy of Netflix.com

If you’re expecting, it’s super important to consume these juicy vegetables. Beets have high amounts of folate, which helps in the process of creating red blood cells. This can minimize complications in fetal development and reduce the chance of birth defects. Dwight is definitely thinking ahead in contracting Angela to stick to a beet juice cleanse.

Now that you know these surprising benefits of beets, study up, try some easy recipes, and maybe you too could achieve “Perfectenschlag.”

beets

GIF courtesy of Tumblr.com